Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First question: How many live critters can easily live in the bait well, for instance, average size minnows of 2 inches or so?

Second: Do you have any difficulty in retrieving the bait since it is behind you, do you just reach around, or turn sideways in the kayak?

Third: If you use wheels to get to and fro from the launch site, where do you then store the wheels? I always store them into the scupper holes. Though I guess I could install some PVC bar further back toward the rudder to keep them in.

I have just been using a minnow bucket floating it along side, but when I change locations or travel a distance, it is drag that really slows one down, so I put it in the kayak, but then the bait won't last long without fresh water........................ck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

First answer: You could put hundreds of two inch minnows in the Hobie livewell. I was just down in Mexico and had probably two hundred 3 inch sardines in the Hobie livewell. The only problem I had was the baits would get sucked in to the overflow and clog the tank causing it to overflow, so either carry less baits than I did or rig up some kind of screen to prevent the minnows from being sucked in to the outflow tube. Another solution would be to attach a flow control to the outlet of the pump to decrease the amount of water flowing in to the well. (Sometimes it's too powerful for small, sensitive baits.)

Second answer: Either reach around behind you or if that becomes uncomfortable, turn sideways on the kayak and that will open up your shoulders making it easier to reach behind you.

Third answer: Put your wheels behind the Hobie livewell and loop the provided bungee through them to make sure they are secured.

I hope this helps and good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, I had no idea that amount of bait could be kept in the livewell, that's a lot.

Yep, figured #2 only two ways. I use finger mullet which have a tendency to jump when they have the opportunity, so I suspect each time I go in, some will come out :roll: and flop around somewhere out of reach somewhere until they die.

I think moving the wheels further back toward the rudder will be necessary due to fishing gear and stuff behind the livewell if I get one...........$250 seems a tad high to me, but I do like the design and capacity of the product.

Thanks for the response.......................ck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Another question or two? How long does the battery last running non stop?

If I understand this correctly the pump will only work when primed and it is primed by moving forward in the kayak. So if I catch my bait at the launch site, I have to fill up the livewell with a bucket or drive it around to get it going and then go back to catch my bait? Is this how it works?.....................ck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, the Hobie livewell does need to be primed by pedaling forward to get water circulating, so you would have to get it going first before you make bait.

From personal experience, the battery will run for a maximum of 8 hours. I purchased an extra battery to keep my bait alive for those dawn till dusk trips.

I made half a dozen of my own bait tanks before Hobie came out with theirs, and for the amount of time and trouble it took, even though it was cheaper, Hobie's livewell is absolutely worth $250. It's ready to go, has a charger, battery, 3 extra rod holders, works very well, and has a one-year warranty.