Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i fish lakes and ocean occasionally on the westcoast in vancouver bc where it can get fairly cold. i have a pair of bare chest waders that fit snug,that i use for my float tube. i was wondering if i could use these and buy a drytop. would that be watertight or should i spend the extra $ on onepiece. thanks joe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use waders with a waterproof jacket over the top and I stay warm and dry.

I like that when I get back, I can just peel off the jacket and waders and be ready to go in the clothes that were on underneath. (Unlike a wetsuit, where you'd have to actually get changed).

The downside with waders is that you have to put up with all the safety-nazi nay-sayers that feel they need to tell you that you're silly for wearing waders and that you'll get pulled under as soon as you fall out etc etc. I've actually been tipped out with mine on in deep water. I was able to get back in without a problem, and only ended up with maybe a cup of water inside the waders. I certainly never felt like I was being pulled under, or tipped upside down, which is the other myth.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Paul.

Last edited by mcbigg on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a farmer john wetsuit and paddling jacket (wet, not dry) with an old fleece underneath when I am paddling in the winter here on the west coast. What season would you be paddling on the salt? I think that would make the difference as to what you wear. Wetsuits are so cheap now that cost is not that much of a factor.
T2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, you need to change when done with wet suit. I wear one all year even in the summer (shortie 2m with bathing suit on top of it). Now, I'll wear 5m pants with wind pants on top of them and dry top. Wind pants protect the wet suit pants. I'll wear Farmer John with wind pants in late Sept for few weeks. I like knowing that I will float even if I lost my PFD. You can not sink if wearing a wet suit. Ask a driver why they wear drive belts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Drysuit all the way.......

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently bought these pants http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=ttp and paired them up with a nice dry top. Very comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:25 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Semi-drysuit is my choice. I call it that because my suit has a neoprene neck gasket as opposed to the rubber neck gasket. These suits are not made of Goretex, but I've had no problems with breathability. The cost is significantly less, as well. Ingress of water hasn't been an issue when wearing a pfd while doing self rescue practice. In fact, I've taken dives off of my Adventure and felt no leaking. Just keep in mind that good layering is important as the drysuit has no insulation value at all. I wear a layer of polypro under a layer of mysterioso when I'm out and it's really cold. Over-heating isn't too much of an issue as I just wet may feet and hands and I cool off quickly. Sweat is carried away by the wicking action of the two underlayers. Worst thing is I get a little stinky, especially if I've been eating too much garlic ;)