Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a Humminbird portable fish finder and was wondering how I could mount the transducer on my Outback without using the suction cup. I didn't want to go with a permanent thru hull setup and felt the suction cup arrangement would be a weed catcher. What I came up with is simple, easy and keeps the transducer up tight against the hull. From outside the hull I feed a loop of the transducer cable up through one of the scupper holes. Then I loop the cable over a 4" piece of PVC pipe that I filed a shallow groove around at the center of the pipe. Next I pull the cable that leads to the fishfinder from outside the hull until the transducer is seated snug against the hull. The transducer is now settled nicely into the scupper hole indentation on the bottom of the yak and mostly out of harms way. Then I lead the cable going to the fishfinder through the paddle securing bungie cord just as it would to hold a paddle or spare fishing rod. With the portable fishfinder mounted on the front deck and secured by the deck bungie cord device provided I'm setup. To maintain light tension on the cable I used a small plastic cable clamp strap and a small caribiner clip that I attach to one of the D rings near the bow. Works great and goes on and off quick and easy! Now if I could just find those *#$@% fish.... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds great--that is going to be my next project. Got any pics of your setup? Would love to see exactly how you went about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In time comes progress! Thanks to a posting I came across I now have a non-permanent thru-hull solution for using my portable fish finder on the kayak. It's so simple it's brilliant and of course I thought "DUH... Why didn't I think of that before?!"
I installed a wet transducer well inside the hull. Using an inexpensive 4 1/5" PVC straight pipe joint with the end shaped on a belt sander to fit the contour of the hull I "gooped" it in place. The transducer is lowered into the well, some water is poured into the well and a piece of pool noodle or sponge is pressed in on top to hold the transducer in place. The only thing remaining was to cut a small access slot in the forward hatch cover to accomodate passage of the transducer cable from the portable fish finder that's secured on the front deck. Here's a photo, though it isn't as clear as I would have hoped for it might help to understand what I've said.
Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A few questions about a fish finder/fathometer on the Outback. Has anyone mounted a transducer on an Outback hull (inside, non invasive) and, if so, does the “cone” pick up the flippers or turbulence from the flippers? Any suggestions on a make/model that works well with the Outback?

Post subject: Fish finder for outback?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently installed an Eagle Cuda 240 sonar/GPS. Luv it! I mounted the transducer (skimmer style) inside the hull. I used Lexel to secure it to the hull floor(after a good cleaning with a scower pad and IPA). Placement of the transducer inside the hull will determin if the fins are seen by it or not. I placed my transducer directly below my seat, thru the small hatch. (I know what lies directly beneath me literrally) My fins are not seen. However, I didn't think about the turbluance created by them might be causing the "surface clutter" seen on my screen. (top 5-10 feet is dark with clutter befor filter, not as dark after filter is on)
Hadn't bothered to test that theroy while pedling, next time I have her out, I'll make note of the screen when gliding and under power to see if there is a big difference.
I choose the Eagle Cuda 240 because it's dual function, I wanted to have GPS onboard and not have to carry my handheld GPS (one more thng to leash down and worry about) This FF has is buit in!. The sonar display is very detailed also. I'm able to see my local lakes thermocline easily (my old hummingbird piranha) 3d has never revieled the thermocline (and its transducer is in the water!)
Before I knew about the swivel base for the Cuda, I had to shape the mount to fit where I wanted to install it. I used my dremal tool to sand away the corners till it fit nicely. Now, I would have ordered the swivel base instead and modified it to fit. Oh well, I like what I have now. It works very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jprtroy,
Thanks for the info, exactly what I was seeking. Where did you bring the cable up through? Did you grommet the cable? Please let me know the results of your turbulence test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oops, duplicate.

Post subject: wire pass thru
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a "wire seal", then drilled a hole to accept it. The FF wires pass into the hull thru the wire seal. I helped the seal a little with some extra silicon.
The wires come up to the FF about 3.5 to 4 inchs forward of the FF mount. This allows plenty of slack for connecting the cable to the FF.

Post subject: transducer mounting
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I get my replacement hull here in a few days hopefully,(crack in drive area) I'll be installing my transducer in a "wet cup" application. I have the 3" PVC coupler,and "fernco" style rubber cap already. I'll locate the transducer in the same spot I had in my old hull. (right below my seat) As for the FF display, I'll place it a little farther forward than I did on the old hull. I was able to actually touch the display a few times while padling. Having the display located another inch forward will get it out of the way completly and still be easily seen.
The battery box (small pelican water tight box) will be velcro'd in the hull with some heavy duty velcro I found here at work.