Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now that I have your attention Hobie :)

Us "larger framed" guys like to kayak too but don't want to sit on a barge all the time. I am 6'-5", 240lbs and would love to see something come from Hobie that is a mix of the Revolution and the Adventure with a bit more capacity (400-450?). How about a 15' kayak about 29" wide with Turbo Fins standard that can be used for open water fishing and surf launches. Don't get me wrong the Pro Angler is awesome but not the most efficient when traveling all day in open water.

Before I get my hopes up, is this even something that has been considered or does Hobie feel it has the market covered with the current fleet?

Thanks,
Steve Frazier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:19 am 
Hobie Team Member

Welcome forefrazier. I was wondering if you had tried the Adventure or Revolution for a day of fishing. I am 6'1" and 235lbs. I have been in those cockpits for 8-12 hours at a whack with a boat load of gear and no problems. I don't even have to adjust the drive unit out all the way. Just wondered your experience with these?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I own a PA and a Revo. I can go for a lot longer in my PA than my Revo. The speed produced is the same for trolling and moving from point to point. Launching in a surf is another matter, however, as far as cruisability the PA wins hand down. I feel less effort with the seat to leg configuration in the PA as I do in the Revo. Both are stock rigs as far as fins are concerned. I'm 6 ft, 200lbs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

For your length, the PA is the best fit by far, at least at present! I think Hobie is starting to take note of larger customers and has made the PA the first of the next generation (longer cockpit, increased capacity).

If you look at recent introductions, it appears that Hobie is continually reassessing its customers' needs. The Adventure came out in '05, the Revolution (with forum input) and Adventure Island in '06, inflatables in '07 and '08, Pro Angler in '09 and they have announced a new tandem Adventure for early '10. They have also modernized cockpits and hulls during this period. If the recent past is any indication, Hobie will likely continue to refine and tailor its fleet to meet the needs of its customers! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NH Explorer wrote:
Welcome forefrazier. I was wondering if you had tried the Adventure or Revolution for a day of fishing. I am 6'1" and 235lbs. I have been in those cockpits for 8-12 hours at a whack with a boat load of gear and no problems. I don't even have to adjust the drive unit out all the way. Just wondered your experience with these?

Thanks for the input...I owned an Adventure and it did adequate room for my long legs. The main issue I found was that with a Hobie bait tank, 3-4 rods and some misc. tackle, I looked a bit like a "low rider" in the water :) Was not bad on flat, calm days but just wished it had a bit more capacity, especially when a larger fish gets placed on board.

I have also demoed the Revolution for a half day of fishing on a couple of occasions. It is definitely a few inches shorter in the cockpit and I felt like a big guy in a little suit having to compromise on my legs not being able to extend the pedals far enough without banging on the forward sail mast area. 6'-1" to 6'-2" is about the limit for that yak in my opinion. In both kayaks, I have the drive set to 7 but can get away with 6 in the Adventure.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am 6'3" and 205, I am very comfortable in the PA. I have long legs and there is plenty of room to stretch out in the PA. I have gone all day in it with no problems. it seems very efficient in my opinion. lots more hip room than the Revo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey guys ,,,,j m h o ,,,,,,im 6 ft at 310 ,, the pa is a perfect match for me,, i fished nj , ny , and mass ,, the shootout with herriane bill,it handled the rough water and big swells at marblehead just fine,, i didnt have a problem keeping up with other yaks,, and a very comfortable ride when your in it for 8 to 15 hours,, yes its a little heavy ,,BUT very stable plateform ,,, thanx hobie :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: