Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone, I have a HOBIE sport. It it 2 years old and I use it around 5 times a week. I live on a river and kayak as much as I can. I have lost about 50 pounds so far.
The chain kept slipping on my beloved and I finally took it to the dealer. He discovered a chunk of plastic missing. He called me and told me the whole pedalling mechanism is WORN out . Two hundred something to rebuild it, or I could purchase a new one for over three hundred. Now what do I do?
I hope Matt can comment on this.
All other suggestions are welcomed. Is there someplace I can buy a unit wholesale?
How can everything wear out? This was a huge investment and I would expect it would last a very long time.
Thanks in advance. I hope someone can help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi pearly :lol:

Wow, that’s a good testimonial for the MirageDrive system. Let’s see 2 yr = 104 weeks- 5 times a week = 520 trips. I’m sure you missed a weekend or two but don’t you think you got your moneys worth? I sure hope I get that much use of mine.

Glad to see you use your kayak that much, is that the only problem?

I figured the life of mine would only be two years before it was time to upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:14 am 
Hobie Team Member

No joke! If I get 500 trips out of mine that'll be something like 12 years! I use mine 3-4 times a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:lol: Lets see if you round off the 520 trips to say 500. The normal kayak rental without Mirage here is some $50 a day. That comes to twenty-five thousand dollars. Boy, by purchasing your Hobie you sure saved a lot of cash. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For whats its worth I sympathise with you not that I have had a problem...to be worn out after 2 years is a bit much. How would you guys feel if your car needed a new engine after 2 years. :roll:

A bit of support in the forum would be a nice thing rather than being light hearted about anothers misfortune...but Im sure if there is a real problem that Hobie will come through with the goods!!

Post subject: Hobie mechanism worn out
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Booligal for your support.
If I bought a very expensive bike and rode it everyday I would not expect it's mechanical parts to "wear out"
I made an investment in this kayak and expected it to last a very long time. This is not the first time I have experience problems with the pedalling mechanism. It has been in the shop two other times. The first time it was under warranty and hobie stood behind it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Booligal and pearly28 :lol:

Sympathize? I was pointing out how good the drive held up with use. If it was in a river most of the time it was fresh water. Don’t know how it was maintained. For that many outings I would think it was great.

If warranty, I’m sure Hobie would correct BUT in the warranty card with the boat (“The warranty period for the hull is two years and one year for the Mirage Drive, rudder, seat and paddle.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think 520 days of use to be quite commendable and if I get that many days of use out of mine, I'll be quite happy. If you put 250,000 miles on a car in two years and you have some engine problems I don't think you have anything to complain about either. Also if you think buying a Hobie Sport is an "investment", you are in serious need of financial counseling or at least a dictionary. Buy a new drive and stop whining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have it on good authority that the drive has been under cost and the price is increasing soon so if you wish a new one I would get it now before the price increase.

Just a thought.