Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayak Accessories
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Excellent site with lots of good information. I'm new to the kayak fishing world, but am exciting about jumping in. I'm hoping I could get some feedback on a few items:

(1) Revolution 2009 vs 2010 model. I have two local Hobie dealers. One only has the 2010 model in stock and is unwilling to come off the MSRP. The other only has the 2009 model and is willing to give me a signficant break on the price. Aside from the modified seat on the 2010, are there any significant differences between the 09 and 10 Revolution models?

(2) FINS. Trouble deciding on which fins to use (standard, ST, or Turbo)? I like the speed of the turbos and am in decent shape (so I'm not overly concerned about the extra effort required to pedal the turbos). My bigger concern is that I'll be fishing in shallow, inshore, tidal waters, with oyster beds and the like and am not sure which fins are best for this sort of environment?

(3) Fishfinder. Suggestions on fishfinder models? My fishing will be done primarily in inshore waters or offshore (within 1-2 miles of land), so we're talking relatively shallow water. Looking at the Garmin 400C, but am not completely sold and would welcome any feedback.

Thanks,

John

Post subject: Re: Kayak Accessories
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I fish in the Adventure all the time with the turbo fins in shallow flats with oyster bars. I like the turbo's because I have a couple of mile trip to and from the fishing area. My friend has a Rev and tried my drives the other day and went and bought the turbos. It's really up to you in the end. Get the turbo's, the changeout is quick if you don't like them. You will want some spares anyway.

If you are just going to be in shallow water, you should not need the depthfinder. I don't even use one on my flats boat. You will learn where the fish are.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Appreciate the feedback!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:05 pm 
Hobie Team Member

There are no significant differences between the 09 and 10 Revolution, so if price is the determining factor then go with the 09. As far as what fins to get go with the Turbo fins. There's a big difference in speed compared to the stock fins and the Turbos are well worth the investment. Now for the fishfinder I would go with an Eagle/Cuda, they're made by Lowrance and you can't beat the price on them. I think you can get the 350 model w/gps for around $250.00 or you can get the 242 model for around $90.00. They're totally bullet proof went it comes to the saltwater, I've had mine for about 3 years and it's still ticking. Just my .02.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

jsalley wrote:
Trouble deciding on which fins to use (standard, ST, or Turbo)? I like the speed of the turbos and am in decent shape (so I'm not overly concerned about the extra effort required to pedal the turbos). My bigger concern is that I'll be fishing in shallow, inshore, tidal waters, with oyster beds and the like and am not sure which fins are best for this sort of environment?
The one saving grace for standard fins is that they are the most durable so if you plan to be scraping along the oyster beds they'll hold up the best. But it will cost you speed and efficiency everywhere else. Turbos offer no disadvantage in terms of shallow operating environment compared with the other fins.

You can "flutter" the fins by operating them horizontally against the boat where the extra 2" fin length becomes horizontal rather than vertical.
You do this by operating in a narrow range with one pedal forward and one back. It takes a little practice but you can move along easily at 1 to 2 MPH at less than rudder depth.

As you can see here, you can operate with Turbos in less than a foot of water and within some pretty tiny spaces

If worse comes to worse, you can pull the Drive and paddle over the bars! For your offshore use, Turbos offer quite an advantage in open water, providing better acceleration, range and cruising speed.

I agree with the others -- save your money with the '09 and you'll have change for some extra accessories! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really appreciate the tips and advice. I now have my yak with the turbo fins on the way. Can't wait to get out there!