Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fishing in Laguna Madre
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fellow PA yakers or other yakers who might be able to answer my query....
Anyone ever fish Laguna Madre in the Padre Island area of Texas? The weather here in NW Arkansas is not conducive to going outside let alone fishing. However; I am thinking of a road trip to the warmer climes of our country and my research for places that PA's would be a lot of fun to fish out of is a inshore lagune as I have mentioned earlier....any help?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:40 am 
Hobie Team Member

Yea they kill it inshore over there... I think spring time is most productive. I have never fished it personally but I read alot on this site. Check out this link. There are a bunch of yakers around there and you might get some better info if you posted your questin in the general section of thier site. The site is the same one hat hosts Kayak Wars. Good Luck! Here is an example of the potential over there http://extremecoast.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =5&t=14998

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The really big girls in Specks/Trout are caught down there at this time of the year. Contact a guide and use them for one day, and then strike out on your own.

Think big body of water and how wind will effect your yak... Research that area in Google and see what comes up. Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi There,

I used to live there. Do you mean the lower laguna madre by South Padre or the upper laguna madre by Corpus Christi? I lived in both places.
If you go to the Corpus Christi/Kingsville Area, I would try Copano Bay, Red Fish Bay, The JFK Causeway along the inter-coastal waterway down by Snoopy's. The Seawall down by the army base in the OSO bay(maybe Corpus Christi Bay). If you like deeper water, you could go to the Port Aransas Jettys and fish the big ship docks for big black drum and sheephead. Big boats out there though and got to watch for wakes. Kingsville just south of Corpus by 45 miles has Baffin Bay. Used to be place where Texas record trout came from. Not sure anymore. Baffin Bay is killer and not crowded. blackdrum, redfish,flounder,trout.

If you are talking South Padre. I used to go to Port Isabel and fish the big bridge alot. Fishing around that part of the inter-coastal from Port Isabel to South Padre can be awesome. I used to live in Laguna Vista and Los Fresnos right next to South Padre. The waters are more beautiful down there. Less people. Lots of great fishing. If you fish the inter-coastal and bays down by Holly Beach by Laguna Vista, try floating a freelined pinfish around the grass beds. My biggest Texas trout was there. 31 inch gator.
I used to live bait fish almost exclusively back then(about 15 years ago). South Texas has some of the best live bait shrimp in that area that I have ever seen. We used to call them Kongs. LOL Could take home the leftovers and eat them later. You can easily castnet mullet and pinfish for bait as well.
Both areas have Great Fishing. It depends on what you are wanting. Good luck and hope this helps.

Later, Mark

Last edited by Afishy1 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys, that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I'll post if I decide to make the trip.