Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which One?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking to get a Hobie in the near future, but I'm not sure which one I should get. I'm mostly going to be fishing small lakes. Might occasionally take it on the biggest lake nearby which is somewhere around 900 acres. I was originally planning on getting a sport, but the more I look I'm starting to lean towards the outback. Are there any pros/cons to either one? Also what sort of extra care is involved with the kayak? I read somewhere on here about spraying it with UV protector. Is there anything else of this sort that needs to be done. And is there any sort of special fishfinders to use or can I just use any one? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Which One?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

my son and I tried out Hobie Sport, Revolution, and Outback (I bought a Pro Angler for myself without trying one out and am very happy with it). We felt the Outback was more stable than the Sport and Revolution. the Revo was faster than all of them. if you are over 6' tall or close to it the Sport might feel too cramped and uncomfortable to pedal. the PA has plenty of room to stretch out and store your gear. we ended up with a Outback and a PA. I added the turbo fins to the Outback and it will flat run away from the PA. I also added the sailing rudder to the Outback and we bought a sail also but have not used the sail yet. if you have a dealer nearby that you can demo the different Hobies that is the best way to see what you like and what works for you.
you can pretty much use whichever FF you want to. I bought a Mad Frog Liberator to mount the FF and transducer to as I don't want to drill any holes in my PA.
http://www.madfroggear.com/liberator/liberator.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. I would love to get the pro angler, but I'm going to be loading it on top of my car by myself for the most part. I don't think I want to have to deal with the bulk of the PA every time I want to go out. I've been posting in another forum and they recommended a local place to go check them out. But the general consensus is that the outback would be the best for me. I just have to go try one out to make sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just upgraded from an Outback to a Pro Angler. The Outback is an incredible boat and yes, although it isn't as stable as a PA, it is far easier to load. :roll:
I had a blast in the Outback and don't think you would be disappointed. The Hobies don't require any more maitenance than any other kayak other than the occassional cleaning and lubing of the mirage drive.
Enjoy

Troutbum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

JPDVM2014 wrote:
I just have to go try one out to make sure.

That is the best thing you can do. Try out a few different models and that way you will be able to see the different features, stabilty, speed, etc. that each Hobie kayak offers. You'll also be more confident about making the choice on which one you buy.