Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder Mounted Torqeedo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi

I was thinking of adding a rudder mounted torqueedo to my Revo/. My question is - will it slow me down significantly when not in use and using the mirage drive for propolsion?

Has anyone had any experience with it?

thanks
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:08 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It does slow you down about 5% and you lose some rudder control. But I'm trying to think of a scenario where this matters -- wanting to go fast with an evolve installed and not in use.

The rudder mount evolve works very well along with the Mirage Drive as a hybrid system. With only about 70 watts of power while leisurely pedaling you actually boost your speed, can have a 20 to 25 mile range (full battery) and excellent rudder control. Your control console informs you of time/distance remaining so it is almost impossible to unknowingly run out of power. If trolling with the motor off, speed is usually not an issue (you would want to stay under prop freewheeling speed of about 4.5 MPH).

If your evolve breaks down someplace, you have plenty of capability of returning with the Mirage Drive at a productive pace, even against wind and chop. If you're planning to go out without the evolve in service, you can switch rudders ahead of time.

As a matter of practicality, I don't think it will be much of an issue. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Roadrunner

Thanks for the good reply - all the information I needed. I think the torqeedo will be a great addition to my Revo as I spend a lot of time trolling inshore.

Fishing season is really kicking off here in Dubai with the king mackerel and queenfish turning up in good numbers.

Cheers
Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have an eVolve mounted on the rudder of my Outback. I find it doesn't make much difference when using the Mirage peddles only. It does make steering a little worse but the ability to reverse with the motor is a real bonus.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a video on the rudder mounted Hobie eVolve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxmhQtOCTyo