Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a new Outback and am looking for an alternative to mounting the rod holders/electronics, etc. inside the troughs on each side. I am considering mounting a hard plastic board over a portion of the trough with attachment made into the inside and outside upper edges of the trough. I can then mount the various bases to the board instead of directly into the kayak. The edges of the troughs have a flat surface @ 3/4 of inch wide. Looks to be built up with extra thick plastic that would make a good base and attachment point for the plastic boards. Anyone try this? How thick is the plastic along the top edges?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bump!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's all about preferences. I don't give up that area for anything but what I want "stored" for easy grabbing while fishing. If you're not sailing, consider using the sail mast area for a mount. I've seen it used with extensions to get them closer to your. Above your pedaling feet of course. Mine was used for the depth finder sitting right in the hole. It allowed me to see all I really needed to see. When new, it seemed I wanted to play with the finder more than necessary, but that wore off and the forward mount was fine. Good luck with however you decide to do it though. Myself, if I filled up the "shelves".... where would I put my knife, sammich, lures, pliers, dehooker, grip, sun screen and whatever? :)