Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Bait Tank
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
My Hobie baittank's on/off switch is having some corrosion issues. If i bump the tank while it is on the connection fails and turns off. The switch is really temperamental. Any tips?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Hobie Bait Tank
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Remove all electrical items and the coatings and Dremel wire brush all connections until shiney, touch up with alcohol/acetone. put a sparing amount of dielectric on connectionsand reconnect, then heat shrink-wrap on all. Coat connections/shrink-wrap well with Permatex gasket maker, (I think its #2.) Its water proof and remains slightly soft/gummy for removal with solvent. Redo if problems or as preventive maint. each winter. If you suspect/isolate it to the actual plunger switch assmbly and its internal contacts (multimeter resistance check/test) you'll need to do a micro repair or get a new one (Hobie, radio shack, West marine etc) and do your own open and inspect of the new switch and modify sealing it as above. Thats my best for ya.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ill try it out. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:08 am 
Hobie Team Member

Try soaking the switch in vinegar. The vinegar breaks down the corrosion on/in the switch. This works for awhile but you will more than likely have to replace the switch.

Ken

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem, and in heavy saltwater use it seems a little water gets into the switch via the plunger shaft and quickly corrodes the contacts. Sometimes they only last a month or two....

Some tips prolong the switch life,
1) Grease the plunger shaft to help it seal out the water.
2) Always disconnect your batteries when you are not using them
3) Soaking in vinegar is easy to do if you unscrew the switch and let it dangle in a cup.

Still it seems that with heavy saltwater use they just dont last that long. Unplugging the battery seems to help the most.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am extremely impressed with the Hobie bait tank and its components. During my first few years of kayak fishing, I built my own tanks with various designs and modifications for keeping bait alive while fishing for yellowtail, white seabass and halibut in Southern California. Considering the time and money spent on assembling my own tanks and running around to marine stores to locate parts, I finally decided to buy a tank that is very fairly priced, well designed, and has a one year warranty on its components: The Hobie bait tank.

I was guiding at the time so I bought 3 tanks in the summer of 2007. I was spending 2 or 3 days on the water each week and launching through surf. This meant the tanks where getting soaked in saltwater every trip. After spending 6 to 8 hours on the water I would return home to cleanup my gear starting with unplugging the batteries and then rinsing each Hobie bait tank thoroughly with fresh water. I would clean out the pump by sticking the end of the hose on the pump's intake and running water through it. This meant the pump was getting flushed out with fresh water after every trip. I have never had a problem with any of my pumps on each of the 3 bait tanks since I bought them.

I have replaced the switch on each of the tanks once in 3 years. They all went out on me around the same time and I was surprised they lasted as long as they did. For maintenance, I simply rinsed them with fresh water. The switches Hobie uses on their bait tanks are very corrosion resistant and of great quality. When I was making my own tanks in the past, I would usually go through 3 or 4 switches a season per tank.

Proper maintenance is essential for prolonging the life of any equipment used in the corrosive saltwater environment, but when things do go wrong, all of the parts for the Hobie bait tank are sold separately and listed in the Parts and Accessories catalogue (http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/kayak_catalog/eKayakCatalog2009_Fall.pdf) on page 16. They are easy to replace and if need be, most of the Hobie dealerships are more than happy to help out.