Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: water temp thru hull
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wondering how accurate the water temp is thru the hull using a fish finder 5 or 10 degrees :?:

Post subject: Re: water temp thru hull
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It could easily be a temperature reading you could live with after the hull is acclimated to the water. I'm sure the inside of the hull could cause some differences but I'm not sure it matters. Others might disagree..... I never found it off by enough to consider it an issue. Out of a pile of a hundred different thermometers of the quality they'd put in a fish finder, wonder how many of them would read the same? As well as the reported water temperature reported on the news or fishing channels... where? when? So basically what you get will be good enough I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Humminbird warns that the temperature probe will not work with inside-the-hull mounting. However, if temp is a major issue, a floating pool thermometer on a tether only costs about $6 or $8 bucks... some of them even come with a rubber ducky float! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the Lowrance X67C fish finder and it is glued to the inside of the hull on my Hobie Revolution. I find that it usually takes 30-45 minutes on the water for the temperature of my kayak to adjust to the correct water temperature. It is sometimes a degree or two off, but it is usually pretty close.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I find that it usually takes 30-45 minutes on the water for the temperature of my kayak to adjust to the correct water temperature.

That's the way it works with my Eagle fishfinder with the transponder shooting though hull of my Quest.
It takes a little effort to mount the transponder inside the hull, but you don't have to make any holes in the hull and there's nothing sticking out to get ripped off.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have my depth/fish finder installed as portable to transfer from kayak to kayak or bass boat. I have the foam pad glued inside the hull and when using the finder just press the transducer in the pad and fill with water. The temp is within a degree or two after the hull acclimates to the water. Just not reliable for rapid reading of a theromocline but general water temp is ok.

Humminbird PiranahMAX 220

Revo

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've noticed that my temp reading takes a good hour to acclimitize to the water temp. Never checked it against a thermometer but will try that next trip. I'm using a cuda 300 with the transducer glued to the hull.