Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: depth finder info
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all:

My wife and I have a Sport (hers) and an Outback. We have become accustomed to using the depth finder on our pontoon boat for general nav and piloting purposes and would like to add one to our kayaks.

I took a peek at Hummingbird's web site and discovered a range of portable units that apparently use a small wireless transducer that is housed in a green bobber. Apparently you can cast the transducer unit and then observe the depth on a wristwatch sized display that you can attach to your rod. They even have surface water temp. I am thinking a short, cheap rod (a fish - o - matic) just for depth and temp.

Knowing the general lay of land under our keel along with the surface temp would be useful. The info would go a long way to allay fears about alligators for SWMBO.

Now, not wanting to be on the bleeding edge of tech just yet, has anyone any first hand experience or comments to offer?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got one of those units (Humminbird RF30) and they are amazing, especially for the price. They are really only suitable for very calm water. The conical protrusion on the top of the green floating unit is the RF antenna and you may be aware that it doesn't work too well when submerged. I find the greatest value is to cast the green unit into coves and off points while lake fishing so I can scope out those areas that are not under my kayak. Can't imagine it could spook fish like a boat would. Overall I look at this rig as an adjunct to my main fishfinder that is onboard the kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Research the topic at http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articl ... rticles=39 there is a wealth of knowledge on the subject that will enable you to make the best choice for your conditions. I went the high tech route due the reviews of the FF being lost and not performing in inclement conditions.