Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: navigation lights
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My laptop crashed a few weeks ago, along with all my bookmarks for everything "important"....any of you guys have a recommendation for a night navigation light setup for your PA? I know there is one out there that has a three foot mast and a flag option, but cannot for the life of me find it again in a net search. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: navigation lights
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ron,
Your description sounds very similar to the one that I have called VISIPole. It is made by a company by the name of YakAttack. The web site is http://www.yakattack.us. I hope this is the one you were speaking of, if not, check it out because it's a great product!
Sorry about the laptop!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with GR8. Sounds like the visipole. Great product. Used mine last night (too bad it did'nt help me catch any fish).

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yea, that is exactly what I was looking for...you guys are great..thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

They just came out with a new version of the visipole. It is made of carbon fiber and collapsable. The flag doubles as a storage bag.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone considered using a solar garden light stuck in a rod holder for safety at night? Would charge up during the day and come on automatically. I was out fishing late at night in January and there were some power boats returning to the boat ramp and I was in the way so I've been thinking about getting one of these and putting reflective tape on the yak.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_pro ... _2080.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dunamis wrote:
Has anyone considered using a solar garden light stuck in a rod holder for safety at night? Would charge up during the day and come on automatically. I was out fishing late at night in January and there were some power boats returning to the boat ramp and I was in the way so I've been thinking about getting one of these and putting reflective tape on the yak.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_pro ... _2080.aspx

the solar garden lights I have seen are not very bright, I would feel a lot safer with a Visipole, just my .02 worth of input.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

atavuss wrote:
the solar garden lights I have seen are not very bright, I would feel a lot safer with a Visipole, just my .02 worth of input.

That's true, I guess they're trading off lower wattages for longer times. Might try and have a look around for ones with a few more LED's because I really only need a short time (an hour or so) after dark usually to get back to shore after the evening rise is over.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keep in mind that you don't need "bright" to be seen. In the dark of night even a very low level light is easily seen, even though you cannot see by it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

dunamis, the solar garden light is a good option. it would provide you some light and it's cheap ($4).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Keep in mind that you don't need "bright" to be seen. In the dark of night even a very low level light is easily seen, even though you cannot see by it.

May be true but most states probably require a light with same visibility range as a small boat anchor light...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the New VISI Pole Carbon Fiber ...Folds up inside the Flag...The Lite is Awesome...You want to be seen out there...Your life may depend on it. You may spend a few extra Bucks..But it's worth coming home alive.. It will last forever....Check it out on U-tube or their site ...Yak AttackVISI POLE....Sully60

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My experience with the solar light is it is bright for about 5 hrs, then starts to degrade. The auto light sensors seem to come on awful early, placing a switch in place the sensor extends the "run" time. Mine was a Wal-Mart special about $3.00, GE brand, I believe. It can be slipped into a length of 1/2" pvc and zip tied to a crate. Right now I am leaving the crate and light outside, just to see how long the battery will last before it loses its ability to charge .

Cheap yes, durability ?? salt use?? So far, so good