Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys. I just picked up a sweet deal on a Hobie Quest brand new complete for $700. Now I need some advice on fishing equipment. I don't know much about fishing other than I want to get into it.

Any ideas on where to start for a pure beginner? I rather buy once then have to buy again and again. Thanks for all the help!

Erik

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You need between 12 and 35 rodholders, a crate, and about 75 pool noodles and 250 Padeyes.
You need several $300.00 rods and some expensive reels ... I wouldn't bother with leashes because I have some treble hooks and would enjoy finding any equipment you donate to the lake.
(Just kidding)

To start with, don't add anything your first several trips, then see what you need.
Be real real picky about placement of anything you attach, so that you don't hit a paddle on it, and so it can be used to help instead of obstruct deep water re-entry.

Leash anything you want to keep ... including eyeglasses.
Drybags or dryboxes inside the kayak itself are handy for things such as keys if you think you may need them to start your car/truck later.

Wear a life jacket.

Check your State's regulations for any other REQUIRED equipment (whistles/lights/whatever)

I use a Walmart 3lb dumbell on a Walmart 75'rope that came with a winder and a float (anchor float or section of pool noodle) on the surface end as an anchor.

ALWAYS wear a Knife, so you can cut the anchor line if needed, or cut anything you get entangled in if you go overboard. A Knife that Attaches to your Life Jacket you should always wear is a good way to always wear a knife.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice RPB. I never thought about wearing a knife and that is great advice. I don't think I want things too complicated. I was thinking along the lines of a few rods, a tackle box, possibly a live well if I decide to start eating what I catch, anchor, fishfinder, and other miscellaeous accessories.

What would be some good brands to purchase? I plan on buying this equipment off craigslist unless you guys insist that I purchase something new with a warranty.

Again thanks for the help getting me started.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Erik, I am also a new kayak fisher. My wife and I purchased Quests lasts year and fished from them at least twice a week from July to September. I totally agree with RPB's suggestion to start slow. I have fished with my father from his bass boat so I had an idea of the tackle I would need for the lakes I was fishing.

As RPB notes, your LIFE JACKET is the most important piece of equipment. I know I am preaching but I see people all of the time without them.

I have a Plano 2 level tackle box. The top has a clear lid and a tray that holds stick/hard baits and hooks and weights. It flips up. The bottom of the box is deep and hold spinnerbaits, bags of worms, tools, etc. I like this box because it sits in the back of the 'yak and I can put it between my legs on the center hatch when I need to work from it.

I use Bass Pro Shops brand poles because that is what I have. They work fine for what we do.

I have a "grab and go" box (plastic box with lid that fits in the front storage) that I take on all trips. It has basic first aid, bug spray, sun block, head lamps, power flare, maps, and other misc items.

One item I am really glad I got is a combo set plier/cutter that has a carry pouch I can clip on my life jacket. I bought mine form Bass Pro.

I like RPB's anchor and knife suggestion.

For me, I can tell that 'yak fishing will follow the same axiom as hunting "when you can't fish, you buy gear."

Dave

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cruzn,
Thanks for your advice. I think that would be the smart thing to do. I have been told from fishing buddies to get a Shimano Stradic 3000 FI with a St. Croix Avid rod. I'm assuming since I'll be yak fishing I'll need a reel that can endure a lot of salt water/rust prevention. Are there any others recommended?

For starters I'm probably going to do some intercoastal fishing (live between intercoastal and beach) and learn the ropes. I'm real excited to get started on this journey.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Erik,
I have the Shimano Sustain 2500 and LOVE IT! I recently purchased their new Stradic CI4 (2500) which only comes in 1000 & 2500 and may be a bit light for your purposes. I use mine in fresh water but was told that they can be used in salt water as well. As for the rod, just find a company that backs their product with replacements! I use G. Loomis and their replacement policy is hard to beat... no questions asked! They're going to cost a bit more but good equipment is well worth the expense.
Good luck, think SAFETY and I can only hope you find as much enjoyment in fishing as many of us hard cores do.

Cheers,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Laker,
Thanks for the words. I have enjoyed Kayaking for almost 1 year now. It's so peaceful and serene to be on the water. I don't think about any other crap that is going on in my life. It's just me and the water. I didn't realize there was a whole fishing side that I have been missing. It would give me an excuse to stay out longer! I don't know the first thing about fishing, but oh well. I can learn a new addiction!

I am gathering that safety is the most important thing, then buy nice equipment!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You're buddies' recommendations of the shimano stradic/St. Croix rod combo are sound. Those are good mid-range products quality and price-wise. They shoud work well without breaking the bank (all too easy to do with fishing equipment). Spend too little and you will frustrated by the performance of the gear.
For the shallow inshore areas you will be exploring, I start go with a 6 1/2'-7 1/2' spinning rod with a medium-fast action. This is a versitile combo that allow you to toss lightweight lures to your quarry in shallow water, and still have some backbone to land bigger fish. Spool up the reel with good quality mono, about 8-12lb. test. Plan on switching over to a braided line later on such as Sufix or Power Pro. These lines have many advantages over mono lines, but are tricky to work with and may frustrate if you are just starting out.
Now, let's cover what you put at the end of your line. Of all the dazzling thousands of lures out there it is hard to beat the bucktail jig. I've fished in a number of places in the world, and can tell you that bucktail jigs are the closest thing to a universal lure. Get a selection of sizes and colors, starting with white, pink, and chartruese, in maybe 1/4-1oz. sizes. The effectiveness of bucktails is dramatically increased by adding a trailer. Best here would have to be one of the Berkely Gulp products, altough you could also use pork rind or a soft plastic bait. All you really need to do with a bucktail is cast it out and reel it in slowly. If over deeper water (over 10' or so), one can also drift and let the bucktail bounce along the bottom, twitching occasionally. Later on, you can accumulate other lures to use to vary your techniques, but bucktails are the best place to start.
Good luck to you and have fun!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Damfisher. So bucktail jigs huh? I'll definitely stock up on those. I have been looking at the fishing pictures and I'm beginning to get a picture of how I want my set up to be. The intercoastal I live on has a lot of shallow parts (under 1 feet at places) I kayak over them and there are fish all over the place. I'm really excited to start getting some fishing equipment. My buddy is taking me shopping (I'm using that term loosly because I hate shopping, especially with the wifey). I'll let you guys know what I end up getting!

Where are the best places to fish? Bridges? Shallow? Deep? Docks?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, bucktails are great. Soft plastic baits on a jighead are also great. I might revise my recommendations a little, though. If your waters are that shallow, you might want to go towards the lighter lines and lures. 12lb test and a 1oz. jig might be a bit too hefty. You might want to start with 1/8 oz. - 3/4oz. jigs.
As for locations to try. I'd say the places where you have seen all those fish would be a good place to start! All of the types of places you have mentioned are good. Bridges and docks provide structure that baitfish use as shelter, which, in turn attracts predators. Bridges are particularly good because they are often areas where the currents are funneled through a gap. Predators use the structure in combination with the currents to better ambush their prey.
You will find that different species will be caught in different habitats. Of course you will also have to adapt your techniques to fish those different places. Learn from your local bait shop what works best in your area.
Get some basic stuff and give it a go. Put in some time. Like everything else, the more you do it, the more successful you will become, and there lies great satisfaction.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Damfisher. Let me revise what I said as well. In the intercoastal waterways here in FL the depth is different all over the place, anywhere from 1' to deeper than a paddles length +. Roger that on talking to bait shops around me and figuring out what works. I'll chat with my friend and see what he recommends!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use UglySticks for my kayak rods and they work fine. Being fairly indestructable is a nice benefit. The price ($30 to $45) is easy to take too. For reels I like the shimano baitrunners. For conventional (tube and worm) I use an old Abu.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Erik Welcome to the only real sport.

All the advice here is sound, I use the shimano baitrunners (3 sizes) and Penn reels. When you get ready I fish Tampa Bay all the time and will show you some Seatrout and red fish holes around Ft. Desoto area. I also love to drag plugs or DOA Shrimp behind when sailing the channels. Email or call. [email protected] 863-899-2112 cell.

Again Welcome to kayak fishing.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dmac- Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to get some ugly sticks to troll with to highten my chances on catching something...haha.

Larry- I'll definitely take you up, but I'm going to warn you I am a complete newb to fishing. Emailing you now...

Thanks again guys!