Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, :D I'm new to this forum and this will be my first post. If I have repeat anything here, please let me know where I may read up...Thank you.

Last summer I bought a Hobie I9 inflatable while on Vacation. Since then, I have thoroughly enjoyed myself fishing and crabbing out of this light craft. I am now ready to move to the "Heavy Weights!" However, I have 2 problems.

1) I live in Victoria (Vancouver Island) BC. The closest Hobie dealer has sold his business and the new owner is only selling bikes. I try contacting another dealer up island but have gotten no response. I'm now ready to cross the border to buy my Hobie.

2) I'm undecided whether I should consider getting the Hobie Adventure or Hobie AI. I may consider sailing down the road once I have more xperience. Can any of you "Peddler" tell me the difference of sailing w/ the Hobie sailing kit modify to rig on the Adventure as supposed to sailing on the AI? Pros & Cons, any comments or personal experiences are appreciated.

Does it cost more to buy the accessories if I should upgrade to AI down the road?

I live on the West Coast and will generally do my Kayak Fishing in Salt Water. Cold, Rough and Windy conditions on the ocean occurs regularly. My main interest has expanded to doing Kayak Fishing, Camping and Touring which is why I've narrow the contenders to the models mention.

So far, I've met a few Kayak fisherman but not many KF Camper/Tourer. As traditional kayakers here on the island call it, I'm a "hybrid", not fully kayaker or fishermen.

Last but not least, are there happy Hobie kayak owners that can suggest dealers that they've purchased and has had a good outcome? I'm considering driving as far down as Oregon state to get the best boat and rigged w/ fishing accessories.

Thank you to all Hobie Peddle peers for your help! :mrgreen:
VictoriaPaddler

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:19 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I have an Adventure and an AI.

As for sailing, the difference between the Adventure w/ small sail and AI is huge. The AI has much more stability and speed. The AI also has a much larger operating "weather window". With the AI's roller furling, you can size (or reef) your sail down instantly as necessary to meet unexpected weather conditions. The AI also includes the following standard equipment: large rudder, Turbofins and daggerboard. You would have to purchase these items separately (in addition to the sail and possibly the Sidekick) if you were to buy the Adventure.

On the other hand, the small sail is easier and faster to set-up and take down. You can also carry it along while you're kayaking in case a breeze comes along. The Adventure pedals and handles magnitudes better than the AI, both with sails down.

Finally, with the AI, you also have the Adventure and can take it out as such. So you have two boats for the price of one. The difference between them (both as monohulls) is about 9 lb. and a slightly different center of gravity that you wouldn't notice. This is due to the permanent onboard equipment the AI requires (crossbars, larger mast cup and internal 'A' frame mast support)

If you're considering sailing, it costs less to buy the AI at the onset rather than upgrade an Adventure later. AND, the factory does all the "upgrade" labor at no additional cost!

For expeditions, the AI can carry lots of gear on the (optional) trampolines. You also have the option of taking it along as a single outrigger with one tramp, without the sail. If you want to build a "small sail adapter" you could use a Hobie small sail as an auxiliary with the outrigger and have roller furling to boot. It's kind of like having a big set of Tinker Toys -- very customizable! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally, I think you ought to go with the AI--forget the Adventure-only option. The AI gives you a great sailing kayak, and you can always use it as an Adventure. The AI is an easy boat to sail--very forgiving for beginners.

I've had my AI for 3 yrs and use it almost exclusively for multi-day camping/fishing trips. You can read and see most of my AI experiences on the rather lengthy thread:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276

Good luck,

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, thank you so much for the tips and advice Roadrunner & Chekika (Keith)! :D I'm going to read more on the web link.

Just curious, How do you both transport your AI? Do you have a trailer hitch or something?
I have a Hyundai SUV Santa Fe and it is quite high. I was considering getting something like a Thule Canoe Outrigger II to extend the bar in order to get it up.

Is it difficult to take things apart or do you just leave it as a one piece and then transport it on the roof?

Keith, I have done touring out of a sit-inside Kayak 15 feet long and when I transport my water. I buy those small 500ml bottle. It is very convenient as they are small to pack and can be place inside the hull for better balance. Also, if I lose one, I will always have another to drink. If you should consider purifying water, check out Pristine Solutions at any of the Outdoor store. It has excellent taste and none of that chlorinated smell/taste. Again, thank you kindly for responding. I really appreciate it! :wink:

VP
Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stephen,

Here is my kayak trailer loaded with 3 AIs.

That arrangement gets the job done, but is not very convenient. One or 2 AIs on my trailer is reasonable. However, the easy way is to have a simple trailer that you can load your AI completely assembled. Some people leave their AI on their trailer all the time. Here is a good thead about trailering AIs:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=11063

My AI hull weighs 76#. People do roof rack the disassembled AI, but depending on your age and strength, you may not be able to do that. It is also pretty easy to ding up your car when roof racking the AI. A trailer is the way to go if you have the room, and it does not have to be expensive.

Regarding water, while I had questions about it before I owned an AI, it is not a problem transporting fresh water for a 7-day trip (1 gal/day/person). I kayak solely in saltwater--there is no fresh water (even contaminated) available. Saltwater cannot be "purified" short of some desalinization unit.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I represent the opposite camp. As long as you have only one AI, everything goes on the rack. No trailer expense, storage, special parking or launch ramp requirements.

Adventure Island, no problem:

Pro Angler, piece of cake:

Tandem Island, not that difficult:

As you can see, no particular age, size or skills required, as long as you can lift half the boat to head height,

the rest is a cinch...

...with the right equipment and a little practice. :wink:

It takes a few minutes to set up at the truck and everything rolls right into the water from the ramp or shore:

For three boats at once though, Chekika's trailer looks like a pretty good option to me! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In addition to RR's excellent pictures on roof-racking, here is a good thread:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=11367

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gentlemen, thank you, thank you...for posting those pics.! Your photos are crystal clear and it really helps me to see how I can transport the kayak. For now, I may be able to get away w/ purchasing one AI so transporting on the roof rack will be the way to go.

Weight is an issue for me as I injured my low back a few years ago through an MVA. However, I have been active and learned to be very careful when lifting heavy objects. A trailer may be optional if I should expand and purchase a 2nd one.

I have so much reading up to do. :P

When you assemble the outrigger to the Kayak, how long does it take?

One final question...you don't have to answer if you don't want to...(or if you like to email privately)
How much does it cost for the total AI package? Thank you kindly.

Here are some photos of the West Coast where I live (please ignore the other pages):
http://www.panoramio.com/user/1587200?c ... to_page=10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stephen,

The list price for an AI is about $3400. You may have to add sales tax to that. My second AI, I bought out of state and insisted that I not pay sales tax--just like buying something through mail order. I also got a good price on it because it was a 2009 model and the people were getting out of the AI sales business. The AI is ready to go as is. You really don't have to buy anything extra regarding the boat. If you are car-topping it you will may need some extras for that plus the "plug-in wheels" as per RR's pictures. The wheels cost somewhere between $120-150. That is all American dollars.

In your area, you will likely need a wet suit or something comparible. The AI is a wet ride.

Attaching the outrigger brace (aka) takes less than a minute, likewise for the outrigger float (ama). You must attach the aka (brace) first. If you have the ama (float) attached to the aka, when you try to attach the aka, the extra leverage of the ama can make it very difficult. Putting the boat together is one of the beauties of the boat--very simple.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon