Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:51 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I'm a trolling freak so forward rod holders are a must for me. When I was testing out the HMA last week it was almost a deal breaker (not really) on whether or not I'd be able to have trolling rods up front.

Hobie put a flat spot that perfectly holds a Scotty rectangle mount on either side of the cockpit about even with the pedals. This would be perfect if I fished pistol grip rods or something without a butt section. Unfortunately a lost of my rods have very long butt sections and they would definitely interfere with my pedaling when angled out for trolling (often trolling two rods at once so they need to be spread out).

The flat spots are too small to hold a ram ball mount for their rocket style tubes...but I called my friend Mark at Hook 1 and he showed me this:

located here: http://kayakfishinggear.com/catalog/ram ... 559461.htm

It's a ram ball that fits on a scotty mount! Perfect! So I'm getting a pair of these, a pair of scotty bases and a pair of Ram tubes. These are the same tubes that Apalach uses for his stabilizers, I think.

I'll have all my hardware on Tuesday and I'll take pictures of the mounting process. I'm super excited about this find!

The next thing I need to locate is a box/cooler/something that will fit in that first spot in the tank well, the ribs that section it off require something rather narrow front-to-back. This would be my bait tank and then I'd have a half-crate behind that with rod holders, tackle, etc. Does anyone know of such a beast?

-Drew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Right on Drew--those RAM rocket launchers are the same ones I used to construct my outriggers, and purchased from the same place--KFG. Those rectangular Scotty mounts plus the ball look great--will have to keep those in mind for some future mods.

I was wondering what size ice chest might fit the Adventure also because of those indentations where the rear rod-holders are located. The Igloo 25 quart marine cooler from West Marine might work. Measure the space and then check at West Marine (or maybe their catalog) to get some dimensions.

Looking forward to your pics as you move along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Drew

That looks like a good setup with the Scotty mounts. Ram does make a base to fit the same size area.

http://kayakfishingstuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RamRecBase&Category_Code=rh

I kind of hoped that the Plano box that fits so great in my P15 would work in the BigA. What does that area of the tank well measure. Don't forget to post some pic's.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:45 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Almost midnight - gotta get some sleep but here's what I accomplished tonight:

Placement is obvious but I discovered something - if I place the first mount as far back as I can I could place a 2nd right in front of it. The 2nd ball would only have 3 screws mounting it down so some care would need to be taken (probably just back it up underneath with a plate) but it could be done if one were so inclined.

Stainless hardware above and below.

I'm done with spending big money on sonar - I've dropped way too much cash only to have saltwater eat it alive. So now it's $80 units for life, I only need to know the depth anyway so all other features are unnecessary.

I cut the bottom out of a small tupperware container and then glued it down with marine Goop. the transducer drops in nicely and the lid will be notched for the cabling. It keep the transducer upright and keeps the tub full of water when I'm under way. This is the cleanest method I've found for inside the hull mounts - cleaneast meaning best image.

This is the first kayak I've had with smooth sides (non-textured) so I can finally have one of my stickers on it. :)

I swapped out the seat for my S2S racecar version and the paddle will be swapped out for my Bending Branches paddle. I dropped my liquidfishing.com thresher tank in the back for bait/livewell purposes and found that if I sling it sideways I can use the pump unit I have that feeds through a scupper hole - this is more streamlined and I like it better. I'll get some pictures of that when I clean up the wiring.

Maiden voyage looks to be a tournament this Saturday - I don't think I can get out before then which is a shame, no test run for the sonar. Hope it works.

I can't wait to tear off the starting beach with all the Tarpons and see who gets to the fishing grounds first. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WTG--looking good Drew, plus some great pics! Do ya think Hobie designed the BigA gunwales specifically for those rectangular ball or Scotty mounts? Betcha they did--they don't seem to miss much in their design shop.

BTW, what type camera are you using? Also what brand and model sonar/depthfinder have you finally come around to?

Continue to keep us posted as things develop.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:21 am 
Hobie Team Member

Hobie certainly did design these boats with the scotty sized base in mind. They even have Scotty mounts with the Hobie logo embossed on them at the local shop. :D

I took my rod holders with me to the shop to show the guys there, the traditional scotty rod holders will be more of a hassle I think as the rod butts will stick into the cockpit where pedaling legs would certainly clip them.

Camera is a Sony cybershot W5 (5.1MP). It does pretty well, I'll get better pics with some daylight this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Drew looking great so far. Just picked mine up today, Orange fisherman model. You where right the brighter colored one are faster :wink: . Test paddled a sand one then stopped on the way home for a test paddle with mine and it was faster. HeHeHe

Very impressed so far, faster than a P15 pedal or paddle, not as stable as a P15 more like a T160 in stability. turns quick for a 16ft yak. You can cruise along around 4mph all day, topped out at 6.1mph on the GPS with the Mirage drive. It paddles just as well 3.5mph to 4mph is cruising speed top end 6mph and I don't have the best style. Never got my P15 over 5.7 so I would say it is faster.

Let the rigging begin. Pic's to follow.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Drew do you have a dremmel? If you want to mount a second base infront of the other just take the corner off and make a new mounting whole where you need it :)

Oh and sweet YAK! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:40 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Drew is the ball removable from the flush RAM mount? I'll probably do a lot of swimming/spearfishing and I really don't want the ball in the way for entry/exit.

Pending gluing some whiffle golf balls on some duct tape mounts so I can see if ball mounts will be a problem I have a few questions .

Not sure from your photo if a Scotty flush mount with RAM ball for same would fit given your inside photo of that position.

Has anyone tried a flush mounted Scotty there?

Has anyone used the flush Scotty with the RAM ball setup in this spot?

How about elswhere? Does the ball hold tight ?Work OK?

Mahalo

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Drew,
The RAM balls are not removable from their bases. However, so far as I know, as with their ther options such as rodholders, the Scotty balls are separate and removable from the Scotty bases. So if you are concerned about your balls getting in the way :mrgreen:, that might be the option you want to consider.

I suppose you could also remove he screws from the RAM bases each time you went diving, but that seems to me to be a lot of unnecessary work, plus you stand a chance of stripping the screw threads in the gunwale where you used the sheet metal or tapping crews. It would be even more of a hassle to have to remove backing plates or fender washers and machine screws and nuts each time, if you went with thru-bolting.

Actually you may find the RAM balls might make a convenient handle or grip to help in pulling you back up on deck after a dive. You know--like in the old cowboy movies where the hero uses the pommel on the saddle to remount his steed. :!: