Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had the Big A out one time, but plan to fish 2 days in it this weekend. I noticed the pitot tube speedometer was off about .4 mph according to the GPS reading. It read lower than the actual speed. I have a friend with the Outback and it read very accurate. Do you think with the streamlined hull it is not calibrated correctly?
I did notice the bunge strap paddle holder is not spread wide enough to hold the paddle. It kept slipping off. During one of my sprint time trials I was watching the GPS and heard a loud water noise, then realized the front part of the paddle was in the water and really pushing a lot of water. At the time I was going about 6.4 on the GPS. Later I pushed it to 6.9 mph for a brief time. I think I am going to really like the Big A. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tex:
Welcome to the site and to pedaling Hobies. I have an OB that is being replaced because of the infamous leak in the drive insert. The BigA looks great, but I fish both Long Island Sound and small lakes in CT. I think the Adventure would be too much boat for the lakes and the OB has been working fine in the Sound.

I believe that Matt Miller has a post here somewhere re: the pitot tube speedometer. They are calibrated for a specific weight. I weigh 215# and the speedo shows about 1 1/2 mph when I am sitting still. Difficult to compare GPS and the pitot because of the pitot calibration thing and also because the GPS shows speed over the earth from point to point. That means that if you're not paddling in a 2 mph current, then you would still be going 2 mph. Both wind and tide affect the GPS.

Enjoy the BigA.