Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question On Revolution
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm interested in peddler weights for the Revolution. I'm 230lbs and I would like to know if there are others in this weight class or over that use the Revo and can tell me what to expect.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Shouldn't be any problem. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

248 and no problems

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's good to see and hear.

Is a wet seat or dry seat? I have no where to test the revo so paddler weight and wet or dry seat are the two top things I need to fine out about.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:10 am 
Hobie Team Member

I'm 230 and stay mostly dry....
My butt gets a little wet depending on conditions.
In bigger waves, you tend to "bob" a bit and that does push water into the seat.
If its calm though I stay dry.....rare days that are calm here though.

If scupper plugs are in, it is a dry ride until something gets in over the sides.

Don't lead me to temptation, I already know the way.
Syn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I weigh 235 and my Revo handles it fine. Seat gets a little wet but that could be because I have the scupper plugs out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you want a dry ride you need to try the Outback or of course there is the PA..
:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Our Revolution is a drier ride then the Adventure, but the Outback and PA would be drier still. Oh, and I should clarify that I only weigh about 160 so I'm going to be higher in the water then you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I ended up buying a revo two weeks ago. I like it. I had the dealer install the sailing rudder and turbo's. I am concerned about reading about cracked hulls in the 2009 models recently. My model is a 2010 but I'm wondering if the turbo's are a bad idea now. From reading about cracked hulls it seems 100 percent are coming from the turbo's when pushed hard and often. As along as the standard fins can keep me fishing when the wind is blowing hard who cares about turbo's. If I stay with the standard fins, will I avoid cracking a hull?

Can someone shed some light on this or should a new thread be started?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:05 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

For any given boat speed Turbos wouldn't add more stress on the hull than standard fins. But because they are more efficient, you wouldn't work as hard for that given speed. With Turbos you can make the boat go faster and accelerate better, so to that extent, it can put more stress on the hull.

Hobie considers a crack in the drivewell to be a defect, so in the unlikely event it happens to you, regardless of the fins you use, you get your boat replaced under warranty for 2 years. The hulls are built for Turbos, but if you have a defective hull, Turbos might help expose it sooner. If I had a defect, I'd want it to show up sooner than later for warranty purposes if for no other reason.

IMO, the benefits of Turbos far outweigh any potential additional risk of cracking the drivewell. Having used Turbos for 4 years now, I see benefits, not only in speed, but in range, handling tides and currents, powering through unexpected wind and chop, getting out of the way of some speedboat that doesn't see you, towing exhausted or disables kayaks or motorboats. In other words, they can extend your capabilities on the water and provide an additional margin of safety beyond standard fins. They're also more fun to use.

If Hobie were concerned about Turbofins cracking your kayak, no doubt they wouldn't be selling them. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the quick reply. I just want to avoid cracking a hull, I'm grateful for a warranty, but my time is valuable. Re-rigging a kayak takes time. Drive to the dealer, go through the warranty claim, and on and on.

Has there been anyone who cracked a hull while using the standard fins? It just seems that it points back to those turbo blades and the need for speed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I really wouldn't worry about cracking a hull. I use our Revolution all the time with the turbo's and I push it hard. I used to be a high level track and field athlete, and I can create quite a bit of force with my legs, the Revolution has shown absolutely no signs of cracking or weakness.

I honestly think you're worried about nothing. If you read these forums you do find a lot of issues, but it's kind of comparable to listening to a lot of traffic reports on the radio. If you spent an entire day listening to nothing but traffic reports, you'd assume that driving was extremely dangerous, but the fact is the HUGE majority of drivers make their daily trips without any incident. It's very much the same situation with these boats.

I'd buy the turbo's, you'll love them!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the the new hulls with click and go did away with the cam columns that occasionally failed, I've never actually used anything but turbos. I'm on the water 2-3 times a week and no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

was that a change from the 2009 hull to 2010?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

remy4u97 wrote:
the the new hulls with click and go did away with the cam columns that occasionally failed, I've never actually used anything but turbos. I'm on the water 2-3 times a week and no problems.
future_peddler wrote:
was that a change from the 2009 hull to 2010?

No it was earlier then that. My 2009 has the click and go. If it's got knobs to tighten the mirage drive, then it's a bit older, but if it's the click and go system, then it's a newer hull.