Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie kayaks and kayakers are featured in the current issue of Southern California's FishRap newspaper. A photo of kayak angler Patrick Moench, showing off a nice California yellowtail from the seat of his Hobie Quest, graces the cover. There is also a short profile of the new Adventure. Read the online version here:

http://www.thelog.com/news/newsview.asp?c=176701

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey PAL,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum, and thanks for the headsup about the FishRap article.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach... Just wanted to mention that PAL (Paul Lebowitz) who submitted the post above, authored the articles in the link and is a very politically active proponent of kayak fishing, especially here on the West Coast. He doesn't just "Talk the talk".

Besides being one of kayak fishing's best friends he's also a very accomplished kayak fishermen! This be him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Noal,
Yes-- I'm familiar with Paul Lebowitz. I have enjoyed reading a number of his articles. Thanks for the heads-up.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Unmasked! Found out! You got me. :D

Thanks for the welcome, and for the compliment for the work of the KFASC. But accomplished? Sure, at catching needlefish and scratching my navel. :wink: Well travelled maybe.

I'll be dropping by from time to time to read what the Hobie folks are saying. Hobie owners are some of the most devoted anywhere. No wonder, the kayaks are innovative, well engineered, and finely detailed.

I'm always looking for stories, so if you hear something interesting please pass it on.

Paul

Last edited by PAL on Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Paul, when did you get that sweet looking Hobie Adventure. I won't ask if you like the Mirage Drive. That would be a silly question! I see where Drew Clark over at Plastic Navy is riding in a "Racing Red Adventure" as he likes to refer to it, also.

BTW, we welcome your presence here on this site!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had the Adventure for less than two weeks. Although I'm in "sea trial" mode, still familiarizing myself with the new kayak's handling and capabilities, I'm impressed. Soon it will be time for a ride offshore. By then I'll have a good idea of how I'd like to customize my outfitting.

A RAM Ball and Tube looks like the way to go up forward. I'm also thinking of using an elevated mount for my fishfinder - the Adventure slices so cleanly through chop that the ledge in front of the cockpit takes water once in a while. And since I plan to use the Adventure for trips out to the kelp, I'll need a solid tether for the Mirage Drive when its out of the drive slot.

I also need to reconsider tackle storage. Now that I have a convenient cockpit hatch, I'll have to find flats to fit it. In fact, I plan on reworking my entire storage system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paul,
Again-welcome to the dark side of Hobie pedal craft! I have two-a Outback and a Sport. It has been a blast getting them rigged, and I still have a ways to go! Here are a couple of ideas that I have found to be very helpful that relate to your post.

1. RAM ball and tube forward-excellent. I mounted two forward on my (wife's) Sport, one on each side. This way I can mount my outriggers for sailing, one on each side. I can also mount an outrigger on the port side and the RAM tube on the starboard, or the RAM tube on one side and the fish finder on the other, or whatever.

Here is one of my recent posts on rigging the newer Hobies for fishing:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2428

2. Mirage drive tether/leash-definitely a good idea. Several ways to go on this. I added a small 1-inch shackle to the aft Mirage drive adjustment hole. I then used either an old cell phone cord, or a length of parachute cord from the port eyestrap to the shackle.

Here is a link to the post:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2530

3. Tackle storage-On my 2004 Outback, there was a shelf just forward of the seat with a bungee and lip to secure your tackle box or boxes. Very handy. However, on the 2005 and 2006 boats, this bungee and shelf was replaced by the 8 inch round hatch. Now I have also come to like and use the 8-inch hatch, especially for storing all my small stuff (knife, pliers, lip gripper, etc.) prior to a surf transit. I missed this tackle box set-up on my (wife's) Sport. So why not combine the two?? Turns out that it was an easy matter to rig a new tackle box bungee, and I have been using it since very successfully.

Here is a link to setting this up:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2668

Best wishes and have a blast rigging the new boat!
Dick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In the review of the adventure the artical states
that the weight limit is 450 lbs. I have seen this
stated brfore on an add for the adventure for fishing.
No where does it state more than 350 lbs on the
hobie site. As far as i know there is only one adventure
(no fishing adventure). If there is one rated for 450 lbs,
I want one.
Thanks Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Paul,
I believe this has come up before and it is due to a typo in some Hobie literature. The max weight is 350 pounds. If you go to the Hobie kayak web site you will see that there are regular Adventures and Fishing Adventures. They are exactly the same except for the colors available and the Fishing Adventure comes with the fishing package which makes it a little more expensive. One color "Sand" is available in both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Errors have a nasty habit of propagating. Indeed, the 450 lb weight limit came from literature provided by Hobie. Thank-you for bringing it to my attention. I regret the error.

Aplach, nice rigging. I'm curious, what do you feel about drilling a small hole to accommodate a bolt on the front (bow) face of the Mirage Drive, as shown here:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2161

One of the nice features of the Adventure is how easy it is to move about on. I can do all the things I'm used to while fishing, such as hang my feet over the edges (straddling the kayak) to increase stability, or even sit side-saddle. That 8" hatch cover makes a good seat while sitting sideways. I may yet steal your idea; it reminds me of the cockpit rigging for the T120, a traditional SOT that lacks a center console.

Last edited by PAL on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PAL,
Yep--both those weight limits came right from Hobie. I have already pointed them out to Hobie, as well as a couple of other discrepancies about the length of the boats, sometmes in the same piece of literature (e.g., the latest catalog!) from Hobie. Matt Miller says they are taking steps to do a better job of proofing their materials, both on the Web site and in their catalog and brochures.

Nothing wrong with mounting the leash as you show it, but it looks as if it might interfere with the Pitot tube speedometer, should you choose to use it. But my general feeling is why drill an unnecessary hole? But if it is more convenient there (and it may well be for some folks), then go for it.

Yeah--there is not a lot of deck space in the Hobies due to the Mirage drive well taking a big chunk of it. But I really find that tackle box bungee and location to be in a perfect position for rigging lures, etc. Just be sure you get waterproof tackle boxes though. I don't have room for a crate in my (wife's) Sport, so I use my Igloo 25 quarter for everything.