Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello to all. I'm a newbie to kayaking and bought a used Mirage from a friend of mine. It's probably from the first year and doesn't even have a model name. No built-in rod holder. It doesn't look like a Scotty mount would work well anywhere so I'm thinking of the alternative method........milk crate with PVC pipe attached in the rear storage area.

Does anyone have an old Mirage with any other ideas?

Thanks!

Barry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey barrynfla,

Welcome to the forum and you will find there are many possibilities for rod holders even on the older kayaks depending on the gunnel width. My favorites RAM Mounts have bases both square and round that will fit most gunnels. Scotty too has many options just alot of the choices are not readily available in your local sports supply store and you need to order from the online catalogues.

Placement of your rod holders of course is a mattter of personal taste. Many people opt to have a single rod holder between their legs where others like them on the gunnel.

The milk crate with PVC or you can buy a prefab 3 or 4 rod holder and attach with tie wraps to the milk crate. The crate holders are great for transport but somewhat awkward to have to always reach back for your rod when you need it in hand. I prefer gunnel mount rod holders in front of me.

I am sure many will add pictures of options open to you here.

Online catalogues for Scotty & RAM:

http://scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipmen ... olders.htm

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/Kayak ... fault.aspx

My setup is as follows:

I have upgraded my simple milk crate to a Crate Mate which are no longer in production.
I hope it helps.

Revo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Revo......thanks very much for the ideas and links. A few of the Scotty and Ram mounts look very interesting. Am I correct in my assumption (I know, never assume) that all of the mounts attach with stainless bolts and nuts rather than self-tapping machine screws? Therefore, I would need to locate them in a place where I can access them through a hatch? Please let me know if I'm correct or not.

You have a fine looking, well equipped yak. I guess the microwave is hidden in a hatch which is why it's not visible in the photos. :D Just kidding.

Thanks again, Revo. Greatly appreciated.

Barry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi barry and yes the microwave is under my seat and doubles as a seat warmer :lol:

None of my rod holders are through bolted but simply screwed to hull with stainless steel screws and sealed with silicone sealant. The only thing I have through bolted is the carry handle I added behind my seat which I learned from a tip posted here on the forum to aid in portage of the kayak. My Sidekick Amas crossbar is mounted behind my seat with 1-1/2" long wellnuts and has been there 2 years now and still holding strong (the shorter wellnuts were inadequate).
The anchor trolley too is only screwed to the hull and I have anchored in some good currents.

I just haven't figured out how to mount the Tuna Tower yet :lol:

Have fun accessorizing.

Revo