Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got my first kayak and went with the outback. I love this thing but I cant seem to find anything about the tackle bins that go into the 8" twist lock.
I really would like to find a deeper and or just one without dividers in it so I can keep pliers, knife my pistol ect. that i can get to quick and also out of the elements. Here in Florida we have the things called gators that like to swim up pretty close to you at times.
I bought some extra containers and cut a few out with a drimel and lots of sanding but I sort of would like to have something with a little cleaner look.
thanks if you can help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This works well for me. Don't think it will hold everything you listed. I keep most of the stuff I need in a dry bag behind the seat.

http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/9c48244165bf4296a2561fcb9d4c98b3/px-assets/6dfbbb6ecc5e40c8b0f638e07e68a8a4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

bgtruk21 wrote:
I just got my first kayak and went with the outback. I love this thing but I cant seem to find anything about the tackle bins that go into the 8" twist lock.
I really would like to find a deeper and or just one without dividers in it so I can keep pliers, knife my pistol ect. that i can get to quick and also out of the elements. Here in Florida we have the things called gators that like to swim up pretty close to you at times.
I bought some extra containers and cut a few out with a drimel and lots of sanding but I sort of would like to have something with a little cleaner look.
thanks if you can help.

The tackle containers come with the boat,at least one does and you can buy the 3 pack.I have found the container to be deep and when you take out the dividers you could fit pliers etc... just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

im planning on buying the 3 pack as well....just wish they would redisgn the chambers. id like to see more of an open circle where you could place the plastic walls in varying positions.

looks like ill have to hit the laboratory and design one myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try a plastic coffee can - I find the Folger's can (180 servings) fits in the Revo center hatch just fine. I can get 2 or 3 in the hatch and I keep leader, sunscreen, knife, rigs, signalling devices and other misc. gear in them. They aren't waterproof, but are splashproof and keep things organized below deck. The Domino sugar can works well, too.

GCKFA #1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

FLS wrote:
Try a plastic coffee can - I find the Folger's can (180 servings) fits in the Revo center hatch just fine. I can get 2 or 3 in the hatch and I keep leader, sunscreen, knife, rigs, signalling devices and other misc. gear in them. They aren't waterproof, but are splashproof and keep things organized below deck. The Domino sugar can works well, too.

I have never thought about using those plastic Foldgers coffee thingies..we go through those like paper towels..gonna have to start taking a few :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How about attaching a dry bag to a ring that fits the hatch so that it goes below the deck and you will have loads of storage. Or cut the bottom out of a container for the dry bag. The thinner cheaper ones may be the best. The Hobie one is too think I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i used one for a season and stopped using it. when i would open the hatch, water would go on the cover. then when i would open container, water would go inside of it. being in the salt, i would have to wash my lures/etc everytime going out. too much of a pain.