Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like to purchase a rear electric motor. I am looking for information on which is the better fit/use. I have the Mirage Sport. Options are Hobie Evolve or Torqeedo ball mount. Any input from users?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are two ways to mount the evolve torqueedo motor on a Mirage Sport. The set for the mirage drive well is the easiest in my opinion because you can decide to leave it at home some times or if you ever let a friend or relative use your boat you may not want to have your Torqueedo mounted pseudo permanently to the rear (using the rudder mount). When you by the torqueedo kit from Hobie you get both options. So try them both and see which one works best for you. Also, just an aside, in Florida any motor regardless of size requires you to register your boat with FL numbers. Fish and Wildlife officers are really starting to crack down on this violation.

www.LiquidSurfandSail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I am trading up from the Sport to the Outback. However, I am told that if I want to use the Evolve through the hull, the front hatch compartment is not large enough to store the Mirage Unit. Now I am wondering if the Revolution has the capacity for the Mirage in the fron. I would prefer the Outback, At the same time I would like the ability to store the unit in the front. The Pro Fisherman has the storage, but it is heavy and wont fit standard kayak roof racks. :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Same registration regs apply up here also. It's a shame you have to plaster numbered decals all over your kayak for an equivalent of a 1 horsepower electric motor. No pollution, noise, etc. Same old story, Follow The Money.......