Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: warm weather clothes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK guys, I bought my kayak in late October and haven't fished in warm weather yet and thank God it's coming. At what water/air temperature do you start dressing down from drysuits and waders with dry tops to other clothing? What are some of the outfits you like to wear in warm weather? I learned that none of my clothing was suitable for kayaking (all cotton). Maybe it will save me some money in trying out different things. I've already spent as much money on accesssories for kayaking as I did for the kayak. Men and their toys. I fish lakes mostly with my Outback but plan on a good bit of river fishing the Kings, Buffalo, Crooked Creek and all the great rivers here in North Arkansas.

Post subject: Re: warm weather clothes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 am 
Hobie Team Member

I mostly fish in shorts and a t-shirt.
The shirt usually gets shed shortly after the sun comes up.

My thermometer is usually my....errr.....ummm.....jewels?
If they dont shrivel too much then I'll fish the waters.

Pompano season is my best estimator since I beach fish for them.
When I can take the water temp, I'll start splashing the yak.
This usually gets the yak in the water right when the cobia start to run.

Soo.....that being said, I guess I usually start using the yak in 68-70 degree water it would seem.

Don't lead me to temptation, I already know the way.
Syn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok I almost hate to post this on here. Since I've been kayaking I've learned the value of not wearing cotton. I've changed to non cotton socks everyday and it has made a difference in my feet in 1 month. I can only imagine how much better it will be this summer. I've always worn Hanes cotton briefs but this summer when I'm kayaking without my waders I figure this is not going to be good. What do you longtimers wear swimsuits?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:23 am 
Hobie Team Member

Yeah...ummm.....not sure how to answer this one....

Lets just say it straight out.....freeballin baby!!
It gets REAL hot here sometimes.
I wear strecthy work out type shorts....kinda like spandex but they are not tight...loose actually.
I think the fact of the material they are made of helps shed water and that they stretch very easily doesnt bind anywhere...ever...
Makes it real easy to pee too. :roll:

Don't lead me to temptation, I already know the way.
Syn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Come on guys don't be bashful. You gotta have some good ideas for warm weather clothing that helps not get the red a@@.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mb4859 wrote:
Come on guys don't be bashful. You gotta have some good ideas for warm weather clothing that helps not get the red a@@.

I guess a thong with beads on the string is out of the question then.

I don't kayak, but I canoe and sail. If I plan to get wet, I'll wear swim trunks, otherwise I might just go with shorts. But I usually end up getting wet, at least when sailing. Been a while since I flipped a canoe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've seen way too many cases of skin cancer from sun exposure, so I like to be comfortable, but protected. I wear stuff that is lightweight, dries quickly, and offers some SPF value. I picked up a pair of fishing pants with the zip-off legs at Dick's Sporting Goods. They make it easy to take the legs off when I'm pulling out of the water or if I just get too warm. They are light enough to be comfortable and dry very quickly. I have some moisture wicking, quick drying athletic boxers under the pants. You can get those at Dick's, too. I have a number of the light weight, synthetic exercise shirts that are great for keeping dry and comfotable when the sun is beating down. A good fishing hat with neck protection is smart, too. For footwear, I bought an inexpensive pair of water shoes that work great. Plus they create an interesting sun tan pattern on my feet :wink: Don't forget a good pair of polarized sunglasses. My experience is that you get what you pay for with glasses, so make an investment in good eye protection. I like Wiley X shades - they have awesome polarization and some models come with a special padded insert to block wind, light, and bugs from around the sides of the glasses. They work really well.

TDK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cotton gets wet from our sweat, splashes and just being near the water.

Cotton will not dry if you are on the water and get wet.

Cotton is a poor sun blocker and wind blocker.

My wife and I use the Under Armor Heat tops and undies. She wears the Under Armor pants, and I wear Cabela's 50 spf fishing pants that have zippers in the legs to become shorts. If my pants get wet, they are dry soon.

I have been using the Under Armor fishing shirts, both pull overs and button fronts for our summer blast furnace fishing for years with the sleeveless undershirts. UA's heat tops/pants have a 50 spf rating.

My wife prefers the UA tops in black and white. I have white, blue and tan tops. The black UA tops can get a little too hot for me in direct sun.

We both wear baseball hats, cotton is good here. My wife prefers white, and since I'm the rear flagman in our Oasis, I prefer a bright coral or yellow baseball hat. When it is really hot with summer sun, I use two different types of Tilley hats. One is the wide brim style that could be used as a small sail, and the other has material that folds down to protect my ears and the back of my neck. If these Tilley's get too hot, just dip them in the water or pour some drinking water on them if you are in salt water or tidal waters.

We both use the fly fishing solar gloves with white on the back and treated leather on the palms. I have used these gloves for about a decade and have cut down on the sun spots.

We use the children's spray on sun blockers for our faces, necks and ears. Most of the sun blockers hurt like hell if you get any in your eyes from sweat or ?! The good children's brands can be sprayed on with your eyes closed and are dry in seconds.

In our yaks, we carry the Ocean Potion Dab-On spf 50 for extra protection. It comes in a small yellow hard tube with a screw on top. It can fit in a shirt pocket or in the side holders of the Hobies. The tube will float if dropped in the water. Make sure you don't get this in your eyes. It dries very fast and leaves no greasy spots. This was recommended by a Derm MD over a decade ago, and he is a fellow fly fisher. We buy this stuff by the dozen to keep in yakking gear, fishing gear, fishing waders/shirts, hiking gear, yaks, pickup and car, and where ever.

Last but not least, carry a lot of bottled water. Between the sun, wind, exercise and continual osmosis of water going from a small body, ours to a large body, which our Yaks are in, it is very easy to get dehydrated. When I use my Freedom Hawk with its after market high back chair, I attach a Camel Back filled with water to the back of the chair and then attach the hose to the side of the chair.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Columbia makes everything you need: Nylon supplex fishing shirts, pants and hats. A little pricey but if you wait for a sale then not too bad. I love the zip off pants. I never zip off the bottoms when fishing, even in summer. I zip them off before walking into a bar at the end of the day. You don't walk into a bar in SW FL in the summer with long pants !
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

TDK wrote:
I've seen way too many cases of skin cancer from sun exposure, so I like to be comfortable, but protected. I wear stuff that is lightweight, dries quickly, and offers some SPF value. I picked up a pair of fishing pants with the zip-off legs at Dick's Sporting Goods. They make it easy to take the legs off when I'm pulling out of the water or if I just get too warm. They are light enough to be comfortable and dry very quickly. I have some moisture wicking, quick drying athletic boxers under the pants. You can get those at Dick's, too. I have a number of the light weight, synthetic exercise shirts that are great for keeping dry and comfotable when the sun is beating down. A good fishing hat with neck protection is smart, too. For footwear, I bought an inexpensive pair of water shoes that work great. Plus they create an interesting sun tan pattern on my feet :wink: Don't forget a good pair of polarized sunglasses. My experience is that you get what you pay for with glasses, so make an investment in good eye protection. I like Wiley X shades - they have awesome polarization and some models come with a special padded insert to block wind, light, and bugs from around the sides of the glasses. They work really well.

TDK

Very good info....I have skin cancer so I know the direct results of being in the sun too long. Funny thing is, I don't have skin cancer from being in the sun, but it's an inherited thing that I get from something else I have :D Did that just make sense? Anyway, I agree with the Under Armor heat shirts (and even cool shirts for the winter); but other items I wear are Coolibar clothing, or something similar, when I'm out. Coolibar has cotton in it, so may not be as good for the water; but it's nice for those golf days :D It's more expensive, but my skin thanks me for it as well :)

Just think about this, if you don't wear sun protection, and get skin cancer. Total up the cost it would have been for the clothing, then total up the cost for the dermatologist, MOHS surgery, reconctructive surgery (if needed), pathologist, etc... Now tell me which one's cheaper :shock:

Synovis wrote:
Yeah...ummm.....not sure how to answer this one....

Lets just say it straight out.....freeballin baby!!
It gets REAL hot here sometimes.
I wear strecthy work out type shorts....kinda like spandex but they are not tight...loose actually.
I think the fact of the material they are made of helps shed water and that they stretch very easily doesnt bind anywhere...ever...
Makes it real easy to pee too. :roll:

Just let me know what days you're out, so I know where not to be :D Does bring up an interesting question though....and not to hijack the thread; but if you're in the middle of the water (and some of you pedal way out), how do you go? :) Do you have a bottle, just let 'er hang, snake it through a scupper hole? **lol**

Last edited by CurtnAz on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've found that long sleeve shirts and long pants are actually cooler in warm weather if you're in the sun. They keep the sun from directly cooking your skin.

The trick is to find clothing in a material that's light and breathable. I bought several of the Columbia shirts, even those listed as being for hot weather but nearly smoothered in any and all of them. Hot as all get out. The best I found were some made by "Layers" that I suppose are coolmax. Not bad but no collar so you have to do something else there.

Lately I've been thinking about researching the clothing worn by folks in the middle east. After all, with normal daytime temperatures in the 100F to 115F range, they must know something about hot weather wear after all these centuries of bearing it. No joking - if I find they have a material or style that really permits good airflow and keeps you cooler I'll buy it and wear it.

Hat - the very best I've found is a Henschel Breezer, ultralight Aussie model. Very light, completely mesh except for the very top, shields you from sun and actually keeps out rain until you get a real downpour. Good brim to keep sun away from all sides of your head. They make several models of Breezers but the Safari and Aussie models are much lighter than the rest. And they're still rated at 50UPF.

http://www.henschelhats.com/breezer.php model 5310-95

Last edited by Tom Kirkman on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:

Lately I've been thinking about researching the clothing worn by folks in the middle east. After all, with normal daytime temperatures in the 100F to 115F range, they must know something about hot weather wear after all these centuries of bearing it. No joking - if I find they have a material or style that really permits good airflow and keeps you cooler I'll buy it and wear it.

Just out of curiosity; have you smelled some of those people :D Another consideration would be nuns....No joke. Nuns are wearing layers upon layers of clothing all the time. I believe it is silk, or something similar; but seems to work :) I do agree with the long sleeves though. Not to sound flamboyant, but long sleeves rolled up with long sleeve pants, looks a lot more fashionable as well **lol**

Another option, is tactical police gear. That's a market that Under Armor has targeted anyway. But I have several pairs of 5.11 Taclite pants (I'm in LE) and can't rave enough about them. They're lightweight, ripstop, and a polycotton blend. They're very nice :D

Can't take the legs off, but if you want to do that, wear shorts :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm assuming their particular "aroma" is due to diet or perhaps thriftiness in regards to bathing. At least I hope so.

For what it's worth, I doubt I smell exactly fragrant when I come off the water in the summertime.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I believe it is probably due to the thriftiness in bathing **lol** I am liking the description of the UA shirts though. Odor blocking material :) Leave more smell for the user to enjoy :D