Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My new Outback
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Folks!, great forum you have going here. I quit smoking and bought myself a Hobie Outback Fisherman with my savings....(on paper, in theory.....) I love it.

My biggest question at this point after reading all of this forum is best method of securing rods. I've been out 3 times now each time adding more stuff.

Any suggestions on a good portable depth finder are appreciated.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congratulations. Great little yaks. Not classic, but fun. I have two of them. His and her's. Also 06 models. Love it. If you haven't found kayakfishingstuff.com go there and sign up. All the info you could possibly want about rigging. I might suggest you go slow. Add stuff only after you get enough time in the craft to know where you really want it. Remember, getting back on with all that junk in the way can be a problem.. I over-bought a tackle box and prefer to take a couple smaller boxes with me now. I carry a gps, but I carry it in my pocket. Or around my neck on lanyard. Haven't done depth finder yet as I don't have my facts straight on what I need/want. Again, I'll be hesitant to mount it untill I do some practice self rescue and assisted rescue type events in warmer water. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

WELCOME Jonhector

Congratulations on the smoking thing, I too gave it up a couple of years ago. Can’t see spending that much on taxes. It cost the same as my Jeep payment monthly. Now its equal to a tank of gas in the Honda, don’t figure.

On securing rods I suspect you are referring to tethering them. All the dealers I have been to carry leashes for rods or you can make your own.

Fish finder I use Garmin but there are too many to pick from depending on your pros and cons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try Scotty rod holders, like the Sport fisherman comes with as standard. I bought one for the Outback and mounted it on the stbd side. Other than whacking it into the Scotty I see no other need to secure it further.

And for Fish Finder info have a look at my installation of a Humminbird, which I cant be happier with.

Cheers,
Jake

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1374