Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was wondering how similar the adventure and revo were. Has anyone tried them both out? Also is the adventure and adventure island the same kayak? I am de going to have to demo both of these. Any insight in the matter as always is much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Adventure and Adventure Island are the same hull. The difference is the extra hardware to mount the mast, sail & aka/ama. The AI is faster than the Revo. It also feels a little tippy-er, but really isn't (very good secondary stability). Both good boats.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a late 2006 Adventure with the Hobie sail kit. A friend has a 2010 Revo. The Revo is a drier ride in choppy water, but the Adventure is a little faster.

If you are primarily fishing, I'd go with the Revo. If you think you'd like to sail as well, then the Adventure is your best bet. It sails better and you can use the Hobie daggerboard.

I'm in the Phoenix area. If you ever make it down to Lake Pleasant or the Prescott lakes, shoot me an E-mail through the forum.

Bob W.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For long hauls, packing big fish and pure sailing the Adventure wins.

For ease of transport, quick sails and general purpose use the REVO excels.

If you add sidekicks, a furling sail mod and a larger rudder, the REVO will seem even better.

But it will never become an AI, if that appeals to you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input. Im going to san diego may24th to test the revo and most likely buy it after. It looks like the revo is going to be a lot of fun. dregsfan I might actually be in the phoenix area this summer for a little camping/ kayak fishing so I'll hit you up if im in the area, maybe we can rip some fish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

azcharger - Join our AZ kayaking group. We've got something going almost every weekend.

http://www.meetup.com/Desert-Mountain-Paddlers/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice! I have been looking for something like this. I will definitely hook up with you guys this summer. Thanks for the info. See you this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Adventure seat is lower/wetter, kayak is longer with a keeled stern so tracks better (very noticeable when comparing both under paddle).
Adventure front hatch is further forward and harder to reach, but stores more.
Adventure also accepts the Island kit, Revo does not.
Adventure has the daggerboard, Revo does not.
Adventure splashes more of the bow (wetter), I am not sure if that is because of the higher speeds from the island kit sailing, or because it is shaped different and the sides lower.
Out of the two and in kayak mode, where manoeuvrability is a prerequisite, I would probably pick the Revo over the Adventure, I am bias however, and for all other uses, would prefer my Adventure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

quick compare.

1. revo is slower.
2. it's easier to move line with 7 foot pole around revo. It's hard with adventure because of its big size.
3. revo is easier to transport.
4. revo is cheaper.

note: revo is best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most of the differences have been explained by everyone else, the only thing I'll touch on is that the Adventure feels more "lively" then the Revo out on the water. I find it to be quite enjoyable.

The Revo in comparison is rock solid stable. I call it the barge, and that's not a negative term at all. My wife uses our Revolution, and she likes that the bottom of that boat is always perpendicular to the water below it. It's very predictable, very safe feeling.

So the Adventure, to me, is the sports car of the two. You feel from the seat of your pants what the boat is doing. Get it going fast, crank the rudder in one direction or the other, and it leans like a motorboat into the turn. Kind of fun. Do the same thing with the Revo, and it remains nice and level, which inspires confidence in my wife.

You can't go wrong with either boat. At the end of the day, if you're in average shape, and get the technique down, it's not going to take you any longer to throw an Adventure on the roof of your car, then it is a Revolution. If you're healthy enough to throw a Revo on the roof, then you should be healthy enough to put an Adventure up there. The Revo will be a tiny bit lighter and a bit shorter, so if that matters, keep it in mind.

Both boats are great. It's really personal preference. For me, I always wondered why anyone would want a longer heavier boat then the Revo. After using my Adventure for a year, I totally get it. It's the performance kayak in the line up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

azcharger - Whichever you choose, I would recommend installing the Hobie sailing (aka oversize) rudder. Helps these big boats turn in a little tighter radius. Very handy when fishing, to avoid obstacles, negotiate coves, etc.