Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WEIRD!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After all the years fishing out in La Jolla, I have finally seen the strangest behavior that tops the list of strange things. The best part about it is I got the action all on camera. Trying to get all the action I can on film is not an easy task. I quickly found this out after using the GoPro for the last month and coming up empty handed on premium quality hook ups on video. Sure I have gotten the fish fighting on video, but my goal is to get the strike on video. So after many schools of yellowtail, I finally came across this juicy GoPro moment.

I started my day off with epic conditions calm seas and clear, blue skies. I knew I would be making the move to search for surface iron fish so I cruised along, filling the tank with bait along the way and the first mass of birds knocks on my front door. I lazily wandered to it, but after a third time I booked it over to the area. This was my downfall. I pedal pretty hard, so hard in fact that I snapped the pedal shaft at the adjustment pin on the Mirage Drive. So you know what that means. Oh ya, PADDLING!

I get to the area and find a huge pile of yellows free-swimming and get an instant hookup on one, but guess what? Yep, forgot about the camera, again. I told myself after this fish, “Ok, first thing when you find a school turn on the camera.” I kept moving along when I stumbled across this diamond in the rough.

I thankfully remembered to turn the camera on even after I made 2 casts, but hey at least I captured the moment. Spoiler Alert: Well, there was a nice school of tails probably 200 strong moving along with a shark. There was no long tail like a thresher, but it had a tan color possibly even a soup fin. Be sure to look very carefully when the video goes into slow-motion and you will see it.

I still can’t believe what I was seeing and to get a hook up off the back of it was an image burned into my memory banks. As I said before my goal is to get the strike on video, and this is what I have vowed to produce. Whatever it was it was WEIRD! That’s the only word I can come up with. Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=120MTBYxxDw[/youtube]

Visit seasamurai.com!