Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Guys,
I need to pick up a rod holder for the front of my yak and I am not sure what to get. I will be using it for both a spinning reel and a baitcaster. I was looking at maybe a Ram tube, a Ram Rod Revolution or a Scotty rocket launcher since I do not want the rod sticking in the cockpit (my legs are long). With the Ram, you have a choice of either plastic or aluminum, any preference (I will be using it in salt water)?
Anything else to consider? Since this will be my first rod holder, do they come with the necessary mounting hardware?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Use the Scotty with gear head kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Baitcaster ... 79&sr=8-41

Keeps the rod out of the way for peddling, brings the holder closer to you for easy resting while fishing and extents out for trolling. Does it all !
However, there is one issue with mounting anything in the obvious wider area on the gunwhale above the foot rests. Your mounting bolts should be just long enough to capture a washer and a nut. Too long and the rudder cables can rub on the bolts and abraid.

Good luck,
Johnny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Johnny!

I will definitely take a look at that.

BB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I get all my ideas from Google....specifically Google Images. You type in Hobie Revolution Rigged, and gain A LOT of info :D One of my favs is the one with a downrigger mounted on it. Very sleek.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:17 am 
Hobie Team Member

Check out this link.....page 16 if it doesnt take you directly to it.
http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f4 ... 8/index16/
I posted a bunch of pics of my yellow adventure.
I also have a Revo that is rigged identical to those pictures.
It has pictures of my rod holders over the peddles using Scoty gear.

Scotty products rule....I fish only saltwater so I opt for plastic in ALL cases.

Good luck with your rigging.

Don't lead me to temptation, I already know the way.
Syn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Synovis.

BB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like the ram tube myself. I have the all plastic one and it does not get a strong enough grip from the tube seat to ball so I painted palstic dip on the ball and let it cure. It now has something to bite and works well. I like having the rod in the upright position so I can rig it/change lures while on the go.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fish in the ocean and often troll two rods. The molded rod holders in my Revo are not located in a place where they are very useful. For me, the rod holders need to be about where my hips are when sitting in the kayak.

Forward mounted rod holders are semi-useful but I only use them to stash a rod temporarily, not while trolling.

I came up with a design for a rod holder that mounts in the molded holes but moves the location of the rod holders about a foot forward. These rod holders can also be adjusted to multiple positions from almost parallel to the water to straight up for launches. You can see this design by following this link. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/show ... #post51892
Search for post #53.

I have been using this setup for a couple of years and cannot think of a better way to set up a rod holder for trolling and storage on a Revo.

Bob

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/show ... #post51892

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

DSAFETY,
can't see the pics following the link because I'm not a member. Can you post them here??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the responses. dsafety, I tried register on that site to look at your set up, but for some reason I can not. Can you post your pictures here so we can see your setup?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went ahead and bought the Scotty Baitcaster/spinning reel holder that macrosailfish suggested. I mounted it today, taking care as to where the cables underneath were. The holder is sweet! The only problem is that my baitcaster with an Ugly Stick rod will not fit the holder. The butt end of the rod is too big. I should of tried it out first, but I usually troll with the reel anyway so not a biggy. I could change the holder if I really wanted to put my baitcaster there. It is nice to have the holder out of the way, but close to you.

If anyone was interested, I used the 1 1/2" x 1/4" stainless steel cap screw button-socket with 1/4" ss lock nuts and washers. I favored the inboard side of the gunwall and it clears the cable.

Thank for the help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Another vote for the RAM TUBE, they work great and ca hold all rods…except a fly rod I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I prefer the RAM modified as shown below. This is even more important on the Revo because there is so little room in the cockpit and you need to get the rods outside the hull.

In Revo:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went with two scotty spinning rod holders and one fly rod holder. Mounted on a Johnny Bar so I could take it easily on and off when conditions change. Here's a pic of my Outback fully rigged:

YakAngler.com Pro Staff
CanoeKY.com Fishing Team
KyKayakFishing.org, President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Take it from an old salmon trolling fisherman from Alaska, flush mount -toothed insert- type mounts are going to function in the real world (especially salt water trolling) much better than ball head mounts.