Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rods: one-piece or two?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rods: one-piece or two?

I have the normal fisherman's warehouse of tackle throughout my house to choose from in outfitting my kayak and, of course, it would be just awful to have to buy some new toys. My expeditions are almost always multi-species, multi-activity (fishing, diving, touring, camping).

So I am trying to figure out how to carry all the stuff in my first kayak, a Hobie Adventure. I am looking at dry bags to stow gear in the hull that is not being actively used. I want to keep things dry and safe when the boat is being used as a dive platform, and in the event I find myself checking out the boats tertiary stability (aka clinging to the overturned hull).

So, it looks to me that one-piece fishing rods are out of the question. In fact, getting even two-piece rods in and out of the hull while on the water may be a challenge. Same challenge for long freedive fins and spearguns. On river and lake tours you can almost always pull over to shore to wrestle with gear if need be, but the ocean is a different deal. How do you guys handle these challenges?

Crew (aka darn cat): notes his solution is to stay home but the Captain is always pressing his luck. Nonsense, luck has little to do with it! It's opportunity meeting preparation, and this post is all about preparation. (Crew: so that's luck you feel when opportunity meets Preparation H?) Captain reminds Crew that common decency and federal HIPPA laws prohibit disclosure of medical information. Crew notes he never claimed to be common, and violates naval tradition while demonstrating why he doesn't need said preparation. Captain notes further demerits. Message ends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would second this question - I have enough trouble getting my safety flag (3' long" out of the front hatch of my Outback, let alone a 7' medium casting rig... watched Dennis Spike's video, and my hatch is no where near the size of his. I am forced to lash these things down on the deck...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:11 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Matt

I hope that you will see the need for longitudinal storage of rods. IMHO the above posts supports some of the arguments I have made on KFS for such a feature in future models.

Post subject: 2 piece for me
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used to use just one piece rods. The reasoning was one piece must be stronger and more sensitve.
On the kayak I switched to two piece because it is easier to transport in the car. I can break down the rods and then pack my life vest, my seat, tackle trays, the paddle (in two pieces), mirage drive and the rods in to a 12 x 20 laundry basket. The mirage drive peddles stick out, the paddles and rods go accross the top and I use bungees on each end of the basket to keep it all together, and to keep the basket in the kayak when on the water.
In three years using the two piece rods no breakage and I can't tell the difference in sensitivity.

Post subject: I use two-piecers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I go with 2 piece rods to simplify storage in the yak and in my pick up; however, it can be difficult to find 2 piece rods in heavier actions without spending a fortune.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Having measured the maximum length rods pieces that can be stored through the middle hatch of the Hobie Adventure (the one just in front of the seat) I am now looking at 3 and 4-piece rods (and strongly considering rods from Cabelas to start).

Though I am now between kayaks, my sense is that secure storage plus ready access dictate the multi-piece rod approach. Even 2-piece rods just will not work on a day-to-day basis without requiring some risky business on the water.

The suggeestions I have read about having your fishing partner come alongside to get your rods through the larger front hatch are not going to help in solo fishing situations; plus it goes against the self-sufficiency mode I prefer.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.

Post subject: 2 Pc Rods
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Don,
What is it exactly you are fishing for? 1 lb crappie or 40 lb yellowtail?
Just kidding! Cabela's has these 2 pc 7 ft heavy WSSC705-2 rods for saltwater. They work great for trolling live mackrel for yellows or white seabass. They run $49.99 Not a bad price for a good rod.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

For a 15 lb saltwater trigger stick I use a 2 pc 7ft Whupin' Stick WSCM70-2 from Cabela's. I have several of these rods with several different baitcasting reels on them. Anything from a 5500 C3 Abu to a Okuma 400 Induron to a 6600 Cabela's Salt Striker baitcasting reels. This setup is perfect for middleweights like bonita, barracuda, and calico bass. This is a fiberglass rod, but it has great action! The best thing about these rods is the price at $20! Don't be fooled by the price. These rods have a 10 year guarantee and they work awesome!.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0012241

For a fresh water 7 ft trigger stick for a baitcasting reel I like the Cabela's Pro Guide IM-6 2 pc C 703-2 rod. This rod is great for " laying the wood " to the fish as soon as you feel any resistance. It is a killer spinnerbait rod. I love this rod for San Diego Bay when I crawl a 3" Gulp shrimp along the bottom on a 1/2 oz leadhead. The spotted bay bass and the sand bass just kill that shrimp! Many many times I have caught a fish a cast for hours on end with this setup.

For a 6 lb spinning setup I use a Cabela's Pro Guide IM-6 S 702 2 pc rod. I use this rod for everything from light tackle surf fishing to trout to dropshoting to casting plastics.

Like I've said before, I don't work for Cabela's, I just haven't found any better equipment to fish with for the money.

Robert

Last edited by Robert on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Thanks, Robert.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I fish for just about everything in freshwater, and am just starting saltwater stuff. all I am trying to do is the impossible: find rods I can stow in or remove from my middle hatch. My measurements indicate even 2-piece rods will not work very well.

So, I am now looking at Cablea's 4- and 5-piece rods.

My house already looks like a tackle shop, but I always went with one-piece rods. Starting over for kayak fishing is both an expensive pain - and a lot of fun!

Thanks for your input re Cabela's. They are my catalog stop of choice.