Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there a logical reason that Hobie offers the Lowrance 4x Pro fish finder? Is it the Hobie recommended model for their kayaks? A highly thought out recommendation?
Or is it just because Hobie may have purchased a large number of that particular model?
I'm in the market for a finder and there is a wide selection and price range. I have very little experience with fish finders and would be welcome to expert advise on what to get. I would be needing it for local small lakes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

In my opinion, I think it is geared more towards the size of the unit relative to the space available on most Hobies and the ability to still use the Mirage drive and still be able to have some space fee in the footwell area. Clutter kills when it comes to fishing.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm sure the Lowrance is a good unit - unless and until that combined power and transducer cord corrodes or gets a bad connection. Then you have to replace the whole transducer and cord assembly together. Not so clever.

Humminbird offers units of the same size, with separate power and transducer cables, great customer service, and an "even swap" transducer exchange program so you can opt for something other than the supplied transom mount. I went with the dual-beam Piranha Max 170 unit and traded for a flush-mount through hull transducer. Yes, it requires a 2" hole in the hull, but it only protrudes 0.2" from the hull. It also gives an instant temperature reading as well as crystal clear bottom images.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think they may be the one Hobie had the deal with in the "fish finder" package they had. That said I have used the X4 (they have been my favorites)before the Hobie on my others and put one on my Outback too. I have never had any issues so have no plans to change. I do use dielectric grease on all my water borne electronics and have never had any issues with corrosion on my stuff. A $3 tube at an Auto parts store has lasted me two years now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's a helpful tip for when you make your decision - whatever waterproof container you have on the kayak with you, place the small tube of dielectric grease and a couple spare 3a fuses. I place my extra fuses in a small jewelers gemstone ziploc bag. You can also use any small ziploc style bag you get when you purchase certain hooks and jig heads. I have space inside of my battery box, so I just place them both in there before i launch, so I always have them for myself and anyone that might need them on the water.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After some extensive Internet research, I've decided to go with the Humminbird 170 with thier hull interior transducer mounting system. I have also ordered two RAM Revolution Ratcheting Tube Rod Holders with the permenant 5 spot mounting balls (one thru hole rather than four screws). The rod holders will go on each side just in front of the mesh side pockets. The FF will go on the RAM mount in the mast hole. Nice and symmetrical. I have limitations....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

can't go wrong with the 'Bird

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For my PA, I'm going with the PMax 170 mounted in the sail mast hole, also. But I exchanged the supplied transducer for a plastic thru-hull 'ducer. It requires a 2" hole in the hull (which doesn't bother me a whit) but it preserves the temperature function as well as giving better bottom readings. Humminbord will exchange transducers at no charge, which is great.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just can't come to grip with the idea of drilling a two inch hole in the bottom of my new Revo....
I agree that it's an excellent installation compared to the paste down w/grease method. How do you know that the bottom readings are better? And just how much better are they?
How do you determine the best place to put it? Once the two inch hole is cut, it's a little difficult to change it....
In the center of the hill would put the transducer right on the lowest point of the keel. You would think there would be wear issues from dragging it on sand. What about scupper hole mount? Not as clean of an installation, but should give similar performance results.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Why would you cut the hull at all? Lowrance's new scupper mount transducer kit eliminates the need for that. It uses one of the rear scuppers, and if you are using a DSI style transducer from Lowrance, the slender design actually sits almost flush with the hull bottom and is still in the water to get accurate temperature readings. I will be performing a detailed installation on mine in the coming week weather permitting and will have plenty of photos.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

About half the reports I read (on a variety of websites) say that shoot-thru installations are iffy. Bubbles in the Goop or acoustic problems with putty are the most common reasons for degraded readings. On a PA, THE place to mount it is between the mast and the mirage drive cutout. It gets non-turbulent flow there, and as it only protrudes from the hull two-tenths of an inch, it's at least as protected as any other method. No loose wires running from the scupper tops, either.

That Lowrance "scupperducer" might be fine, but only if you have a Lowrance. Besides, you'd have to install and remove it every time you used the plug-in cart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This transducer mount has been working very well for me, so far. It avoids a couple issues I had previously where I would 'glue' the transducer puck in a pool of silicon/Goop/ or 3M 4200 (tried all 3).

Just a block of closed-cell foam with a well cut out slightly smaller than the transducer. I sanded the inside of the hull, and glued the block in place. Pour some water into the well, and pressure fit the transducer.

The advantage is, the transducer is removable (since often I don't bother with a finder), and I think the foam is flexible and light enough the bond between it and the hull is secure, unlike when I glued the puck directly to the hull.

We'll see, if this lasts in the summer heat, but so far it's remained secure through quite a bit of travel, banging around the truck bed, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

RockyRaab wrote:
That Lowrance "scupperducer" might be fine, but only if you have a Lowrance. Besides, you'd have to install and remove it every time you used the plug-in cart.

I took that into consideration when deciding on the purchase of the kit, but quickly erased my concerns since I use the C-TUG kayak cart and avoid any potential scupper stress from any installed kayak carts or need to remove the installed scupper transducer kit 8) 8) .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The beauty of all this is that we can each come up with a solution that works for us.

I'll document my install and post "peechurs" as it goes along.