Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The FH 14 is more stable and sea worthy than the FH 12. You have to be careful about moving forward past a certain point on the yak.

The Elite seat is an excellent seat.

Re the Hobie plastic being more robust. On top above the water, you may be correct. However, our Oasis seems to be more tender on the bottom re launch sites with the ridges in the concrete of the ramp.

Each yak has positives and negatives for what we use the Yaks for. That is why so many of us own more than one yak. :roll:

You have an interesting option. A younger relative suggested that I buy a Sport, Outback or Revo 11 to tow my FH 12 or Pathfinder to and from the fishing flats/areas. Then, anchor or beach the Hobie Yak, remove the Mirage, stow it in the FH and get in the FH to fly fish. Then, reverse the steps to get back to the launch site. That way, I wouldn't have to mess around with a battery and motor for my Pathfinder.

Since you have an Outback collecting dust, you could be using that option without any extra $'s besides a tow rope. :mrgreen:

actionjackson wrote:
Well guys, The Outback is collecting dust for the moment...lol Also,this post started in regards to standing and fishing in a practical manner. Havent tried it,BUT yesterday I did buy a Freedom 12 hawk..I know this will work. :D
Cheers
[/quote]

Grampa Spey,
Well I went to pickup my Hawk yesterday.It was actually a Hawk 14. Now take no offenese and maybe call it a premature opinion but here we go. Even after these words,you may say to yourself "then why did you buy it". While it shows impressive platform for standing up and fishing,there is no perfect fishing kayak.There always something that has to be given up for another feature.The price was right & included the delux angler seat too. I havent had it out on the water yet,but I am excited to give it a try. First impressions is you get what you pay for. Pretty decent for the money,but by no means built as solid as a Hobie.
Not writing this as a bash(first impression),only letting those who maybe on the fence about buying a Hawk and havent seen/handled one in person. Hull materials are totally different,Hobie are much robust. Obviously with no moving parts the Hobie would be more hassle free over time.Dont think that point can be agrued. These couple things though werent enough to stop me from buying the Freedom Hawk. It has lots of potential and will serve its purpose well..Guess I should do a short review elsewhere on forum that here...lol
Thanks for the links Grampa Spey,I have seen a lot of them.
Cheers[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Grampa Spey,
Those are good thoughts about towing the Hawks behind my Hobie.No motor to mess with sounds good.Not sure what I will do,but these are all good problems to have..lol You may jusy see a blow put deal on a Hawk 14 soon..lol
Cheers

quote="Grampa Spey"]The FH 14 is more stable and sea worthy than the FH 12. You have to be careful about moving forward past a certain point on the yak.

The Elite seat is an excellent seat.

Re the Hobie plastic being more robust. On top above the water, you may be correct. However, our Oasis seems to be more tender on the bottom re launch sites with the ridges in the concrete of the ramp.

Each yak has positives and negatives for what we use the Yaks for. That is why so many of us own more than one yak. :roll:

You have an interesting option. A younger relative suggested that I buy a Sport, Outback or Revo 11 to tow my FH 12 or Pathfinder to and from the fishing flats/areas. Then, anchor or beach the Hobie Yak, remove the Mirage, stow it in the FH and get in the FH to fly fish. Then, reverse the steps to get back to the launch site. That way, I wouldn't have to mess around with a battery and motor for my Pathfinder.

Since you have an Outback collecting dust, you could be using that option without any extra $'s besides a tow rope. :mrgreen:

actionjackson wrote:
Well guys, The Outback is collecting dust for the moment...lol Also,this post started in regards to standing and fishing in a practical manner. Havent tried it,BUT yesterday I did buy a Freedom 12 hawk..I know this will work. :D
Cheers
[/quote]

Grampa Spey,
Well I went to pickup my Hawk yesterday.It was actually a Hawk 14. Now take no offenese and maybe call it a premature opinion but here we go. Even after these words,you may say to yourself "then why did you buy it". While it shows impressive platform for standing up and fishing,there is no perfect fishing kayak.There always something that has to be given up for another feature.The price was right & included the delux angler seat too. I havent had it out on the water yet,but I am excited to give it a try. First impressions is you get what you pay for. Pretty decent for the money,but by no means built as solid as a Hobie.
Not writing this as a bash(first impression),only letting those who maybe on the fence about buying a Hawk and havent seen/handled one in person. Hull materials are totally different,Hobie are much robust. Obviously with no moving parts the Hobie would be more hassle free over time.Dont think that point can be agrued. These couple things though werent enough to stop me from buying the Freedom Hawk. It has lots of potential and will serve its purpose well..Guess I should do a short review elsewhere on forum that here...lol
Thanks for the links Grampa Spey,I have seen a lot of them.
Cheers[/quote][/quote]