Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone had any issues with rod holders placed on the center console of the Quest getting ripped out? The material seems to bend a bit when a larger fish strikes. Would you (Matt, please chime in) backing be recommended in this situation?

Thanks

Post subject: Rod holder
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunatly, no...I don't have experience with this issue, but stronger is always better. If you are concerned, I would reinforce.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:29 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
when a fish strikes I would hope your drag os set loose enough that it does not have much pressure on the holder, I would think this might cause a capsize. When we fish for surface striking fish we always have the drag loose so we can get our act together then tighten the drag and fight the fish.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Use a backing plate. Here's some pics of the backing plate I made for my fishfinder post, maybe it will give you some ideas:

http://www.geocities.com/questmodshop/F ... gPlate.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/questmodshop/F ... gPlate.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sunjammers wrote:
when a fish strikes I would hope your drag os set loose enough that it does not have much pressure on the holder, I would think this might cause a capsize. When we fish for surface striking fish we always have the drag loose so we can get our act together then tighten the drag and fight the fish.

That is exactly why I have gone over exclusively on my big rods to Shimano Baitrunners, or the Okuma Epixor equivalents on my smaller rods. Love that 2 drag system in which the fish can run with the bait or lure on the light drag, but when you shift over to the main drag they are hooked. Great setup for circle hooks, which I also use most of the time now. No chance of a capsize or off-angle sleigh ride until you set the main drag when you are ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I'm trolling a lure, I loosen the drag almost 100%. Don't worry, you'll know when you have a fish on, you'll hear/see the line going out. Also, if you get a snag, line will go out instead of ripping parts off the kayak.
When I'm slow trolling live bait, I put it in freespool with the clicker on. That's the way I got this big yellowtail. Believe me, there is nothing better in kayak fishing than to hear the sound your reel makes when the clicker is on and a 25lb. fish takes your bait and runs for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gentlemen...thanks for the replies. My questions was posed because of the following...

I do a lot of trolling for striped bass. I've had some very hefty bass hit my line like a freight train. I've got the drag set appropriately (not too tight, not too loose). But even with that, I've had some fish hit where I saw the center console literally bow out. The last thing I want is to lose that fish of a lifetime because my center console blew up on me. :D

As Ronbo suggested, I installed a backing plate on the yak actually using some cutting board material (non-pourous type).

I had a nice 40 incher hit the other day and there was zero give from the center console, which reassured me a great deal.

SF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SF,
Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for a Shimano Baitrunner (or similar) reel. It has two separate drags, one very light and used while trolling, allowing the fish to run with your bait without it even knowing it has your line. Then, when you are ready, and with a half crank of the handle, you shift over to the preset regular drag. Using circle hooks, this often allows the hook to shift around to the corner of the mouth, resuilting in a solid hookup. You then fight the fish in the usual way with the normal drag. I use these reels for just about everything now, but especially for large amberjack, shark, and (hopefully) tarpon. Try 'em, I believe you'll like 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:46 am 
Hobie Team Member

Baitrunners are really just the spinning reel version of a conventional reel with a clicker. So if you're using conventionals I'll assume they're large enough to have clickers on them (Penn 500, Calcutta 400, Abu 6500, etc.).

East Coast seems to prefer spinning gear whereas left coast anglers understand the vast superiority of conventional gear. :shock: :D

Then again, with a Hobie...why not just hang onto your rod!