Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm about to purchase an oasis for lake & river fishing. I can see the merits of the anchor trolley system in a lake where wind will determine boat position & the best place to anchor from the oasis. However, when river fishing in a moderate current I would like to set up an anchor system to have it released from the rear point of the kayak. I'm used to an anchor system with a release & pulley system so I don't have to actually pick up the anchor & throw it into the water. Similar to an anchor system in a river dory. (for flyfishing)..... Has anyone set something like this up on a hobie??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No but you can use the scotty anchor rig off the back and use rope at the cockpit with the same clasp as the rudder uses. Good Idea :D

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never bothered with any sort of trolley. Just bore a small hole fore and aft and insert and thru-bolt a stainless steel eye-bolt. Fasten a ClamCleat Jr. on the gunwale (I mount one on starboard/forward and one on port/rearward) and run a 3/16th inch starter cord from cleat to eye-bolt. Now you can anchor (one-handed) either from the bow or stern at a second's notice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your ideas folks. I like the scotty mounts. Seems like it would be easy to use for a multitude of mounts..... rod holder as well as anchor system. I didn't see a weight rating on the mounts but hoping for 5lbs for the anchor. In most rivers I think I'll need at least that much. I also saw the http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equi ... apease.htm , which I think I'd like to use in conjunction with the scotty anchor lock, or maybe a different lock. I like being able to extend the anchor past the side of the yak. Don't want it bumping around too much. Anyone use the trapease??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an Outback, and the scauper holes in the rear allow me use a 1/2" PVC pipe with a T fitting glued to the top($3.00 total). If the current is slow to moderate it will hold you facing down stream. Works best with the rudder up. If you put a little weight in the pipe it holds very well even in a faster riffle. My freind has a Pro angler and it holds that exceptionally. The bottom content definately plays a part in it, harder bottom with a faster current they aren't as effective. I have two on board, that helps me from swaying. If it's less than 5' deep I'd rather use the poles than the trolly system.

Pete