Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LIVE WELL DRAIN
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We put a small scoop of sardines in the bait tank. They started sticking their noses in the four small holes near the top of the drain tube (and would get stuck), then the water level rose so that they started going over the top of the drain and down in plugging the drain completely. When I opened the lid - water and sardines began spilling out. I reached in and cleared the drain tube, but with in minutes they had done it again. Any ideas how to keep this from happening again? I was thinking of some type of strainer that could fit over the tube and keep the sardines back.

Post subject: Re: LIVE WELL DRAIN
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I haven't a clue about the live well as I don't own one but... when brewing beer with whole hops one drains off the wort (finished beer) through a valve that has a tube extending into the bottom of the kettle. To prevent the tube from becoming clogged with whole leaf hops, a stainless steel cleaning/scrubbing pad is placed over the end of the tube. You can actually form a small tunnel through the pad and perhaps in your application, use a zip tie to secure it. It prevented clogging without impeding flow so...

My apologies for chiming in on equipment with which I'm unfamiliar.