Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not you can order the new outback with the rectangular hatch as an extra option (noting that it isn't standard)?

If so and it is fitted by the dealer would this still void the warranty?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is only offered as a dealer (or retail) installed option after the fact. We aren't putting them in here at the factory. (this option is available for older style Outback hulls as well, since 2012 I believe) - it's not just from 2015, this is something that we've been doing a while now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wish I could install a rectangular hatch in front of the seat of my 2014 Revolution. A rectangular hatch would make it much easier to get access to the area under and in front of the seat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there a new bucket as current one will not fit the new outbacks?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The deep bucket for the rectangle hatches is only designed to work in a Pro Angler. The rectangle hatch (when installed on an Outback) will only work with the tackle management rack (standard on the PA)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So that is a no then. Not crazy about the tackle system as really don't need that much tackle when fishing from kayak. I prefer the bucket to store other items in a handy location.

Wish a slightly smaller one as I know many who use it on the older outback.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Hobie rectangular hatch sells for $96 at Austin Kayak and works with the Outback. For another $22 you can buy the drop in bucket for use with the hatch. The "tackle management rack" sells for $12 and works with Plano and other tackle boxes but you can choose to use the drop in bucket instead of the rack.

To me it is a no-brainer to remove the 8" round hatch on the Outback and replace it with the rectangular hatch (also used on the PA12) and the drop-in bucket. It does beg the question as to why Hobie provides this setup on the PA 12 straight from the factory but not on the Outback. To me it is a significant advantage of the Outback over the Revo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wintersun wrote:
The Hobie rectangular hatch sells for $96 at Austin Kayak and works with the Outback. For another $22 you can buy the drop in bucket for use with the hatch. The "tackle management rack" sells for $12 and works with Plano and other tackle boxes but you can choose to use the drop in bucket instead of the rack.

To me it is a no-brainer to remove the 8" round hatch on the Outback and replace it with the rectangular hatch (also used on the PA12) and the drop-in bucket. It does beg the question as to why Hobie provides this setup on the PA 12 straight from the factory but not on the Outback. To me it is a significant advantage of the Outback over the Revo.

Wintersun is that different to the standard hobie bucket? Jacques mentioned above that the deep bucket does fit in outback or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie has a 8" ROUND bucket with a depth of 5 inches. It has a cut out of the circle so it is not completely round. What is left is a space large enough to hold a single rectangular tackle box that is 6" x 2" x 4.75" in size. Contrast that with the PA rectangular hatch that is 12" x 8" x its depth.

Big difference between finding a 6 x 2 x 4.75 inch (12 square inches) tackle box from Plano or anyone else as compared to finding Plano boxes to fit inside a 12 x 8 inch (96 square inches) space. There is a reason why tackle cases are rectangular in shape.

What seems strange is that the Outback 12 is marketed as a fishing kayak and yet omits the Pro Angle 12 hatch. So one buys an Outback and has to spend another $100 for the hatch kit. Add in the $143 for the Hobie Mirage Performance kit with the turbo fins and larger rudder and the boat is ready to go. Just don't understand why these items are not standard equipment for this type of boat that is designed specifically for fishing.

It appears that Hobie's product marketing people want to maximize the differences between the 12 foot Outback and the 12 foot Pro Angler boats as much as possible, and this I can understand. It does make for a less pleasant experience for the person buying an Outback when they have to buy all these add on items to complete the boat.

Hobie with the 2015 Outback made a number of nice to have improvements with the higher rear cockpit floor and the new seat, but failed to fix the two aspects that did need improving, the round hatch and the shape of the hull at the bow entry point where there is all the water slapping.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wintersun wrote:
What seems strange is that the Outback 12 is marketed as a fishing kayak and yet omits the Pro Angle 12 hatch. So one buys an Outback and has to spend another $100 for the hatch kit. Add in the $143 for the Hobie Mirage Performance kit with the turbo fins and larger rudder and the boat is ready to go. Just don't understand why these items are not standard equipment for this type of boat that is designed specifically for fishing.

It appears that Hobie's product marketing people want to maximize the differences between the 12 foot Outback and the 12 foot Pro Angler boats as much as possible, and this I can understand. It does make for a less pleasant experience for the person buying an Outback when they have to buy all these add on items to complete the boat.

Hobie with the 2015 Outback made a number of nice to have improvements with the higher rear cockpit floor and the new seat, but failed to fix the two aspects that did need improving, the round hatch and the shape of the hull at the bow entry point where there is all the water slapping.

Ah, but Wintersun, what about the anglers that don't want the square hatch? I can get into the round hatch without throwing both legs over the side of the kayak, not sure I would be able to do the same with the rectangular hatch. Similarly, if you are an inshore or shallow-water user you may have no need for the full turbo fins and sailing rudder.
See, you don't have to get any of these options. The beauty of the Outback is you have all these choices and that makes the kayak appealing to a wider range of users. That's not just good marketing, that's good customer service. The weight difference and stand-ability put the PA12 in a different class even without these add-on items you mention.

I will however agree, vehemently, about the outdated bow design especially since they demonstrated with the SPORT that they know how to fix the issue!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello,

waiting for my new toy.

Would-it be possible to do this:

If not, I let the round hatch cause it would be impossible to open the rectangular between the legs...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I went to the dealer to give the 2015 Outback a good lookover, I opened the round center hatch and found that outside of the immediate are under the hatch, the rest of the area was surrounded by flotational foam blocks that must be there for a reason. My older model Outback has no such foam in that area and thus provides adequate area for an Evolve battery and also foam incased storage of a 12 volt battery for the fish finder. Not sure the rectangular hatch would offer a substantial increase in storage area over the older models.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

LAMEDUCK wrote:
When I went to the dealer to give the 2015 Outback a good lookover, I opened the round center hatch and found that outside of the immediate are under the hatch, the rest of the area was surrounded by flotational foam blocks that must be there for a reason. My older model Outback has no such foam in that area and thus provides adequate area for an Evolve battery and also foam incased storage of a 12 volt battery for the fish finder. Not sure the rectangular hatch would offer a substantial increase in storage area over the older models.

The foam should be there cause now we can stand on the hatch.

The rectangular hatch is not specially for the storage area but for access to it...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm going to outfit my new Outback with a rectangular hatch the the tackle management system...I've already got one ordered. I like the TMS in that I can put two trays there vs. behind me in a crate.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I forgot the idea, don't want to put the legs in water to get something in the hatch...