Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SheYakFishr wrote:
tonyvaziri wrote:
Wow that was fast thank you, Do you remember where you bought it from, or how many T-handles and screw holes had?

I'm thinking the one I bought was pretty cheap as it was on sale. I'm guessing it was because it was white... but can't remember where I bought it from. If you check out this link.... http://www.nextag.com/kayak-hatch/products-html they show several but in black. They have two T handles.. like the one I had.. actually it looks the same but I prefered the white so it wouldn't absorb the heat from the sun, but maybe that wouldn't really matter. The hardest part was taking a drill and making the first hole... then I used a jig saw to cut the rectangle part out, (which I kept for making repairs). Just make sure you measure SEVERAL times to make sure exactly where you want it because once you drill or cut... that is it! Then use a dark pencil or marker and draw the outline of the inside part of the rim of the hatch so it will fit snug... then drill the starter hole on the inside of a corner... and then start cutting. :D I had to do some fine trimming afterwards to get it to fit better but it was so worth it. I'm NOT going to lie.. I was a nervous wreck when cutting that part out.. but it turned out great and I was thrilled with the ease of getting in side the yak!!! Good luck!!!

Hey!
Would you mind re-posting the link to the cart you built? Or post a photo and instructions?
Your earlier link from the post of 2006 is not working.
I am starting on my AI to set up for fishing, and when the battery ( in a Pelican case) is installed as well as the cooler, six rods w/holders, fishfinder, GPS, etc., the rig will be quite heavy.
Thanks, Buddy!

Udo Winkler
Southern California

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

udowinkler wrote:
SheYakFishr wrote:
tonyvaziri wrote:
Wow that was fast thank you, Do you remember where you bought it from, or how many T-handles and screw holes had?

I'm thinking the one I bought was pretty cheap as it was on sale. I'm guessing it was because it was white... but can't remember where I bought it from. If you check out this link.... http://www.nextag.com/kayak-hatch/products-html they show several but in black. They have two T handles.. like the one I had.. actually it looks the same but I prefered the white so it wouldn't absorb the heat from the sun, but maybe that wouldn't really matter. The hardest part was taking a drill and making the first hole... then I used a jig saw to cut the rectangle part out, (which I kept for making repairs). Just make sure you measure SEVERAL times to make sure exactly where you want it because once you drill or cut... that is it! Then use a dark pencil or marker and draw the outline of the inside part of the rim of the hatch so it will fit snug... then drill the starter hole on the inside of a corner... and then start cutting. :D I had to do some fine trimming afterwards to get it to fit better but it was so worth it. I'm NOT going to lie.. I was a nervous wreck when cutting that part out.. but it turned out great and I was thrilled with the ease of getting in side the yak!!! Good luck!!!

Hey!
Would you mind re-posting the link to the cart you built? Or post a photo and instructions?
Your earlier link from the post of 2006 is not working.
I am starting on my AI to set up for fishing, and when the battery ( in a Pelican case) is installed as well as the cooler, six rods w/holders, fishfinder, GPS, etc., the rig will be quite heavy.
Thanks, Buddy!

Udo Winkler
Southern California

Hi there... I would love to... but I no longer have it... I bought a Hobie cart with the bigger wheels and gave my old cart to a lady who has cancer and can hardly pull her kayak. I'm not sure, but all that info should be listed in a kayak forum I'm in... http://www.gulfcoastkayakfishing.com/

I seem to remember posting the cart in there and there are other that have posted the directions to thiers. They have LOTS of GREAT info on all kinds of installations. :mrgreen: