Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Whats good to wear for the colder fall weather , specifically waist down? I have an Aquaskin waterproof top and lighter upper body stuff. But what is good ,pants wise, that allows easy movement but keeps legs and feet dry? Fishing in NY area bays, inlets.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

These pants are a great option for the lower half of the body. If you still need more warmth, try wearing a pair of Columbia's PHG wader pants underneath.

Kokatat's Wader Bottoms
http://shop.nykayak.com/Kokatat-Tempest ... p_611.html

Columbia's Wader Pants
http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-P ... lt,pd.html

Stay warm!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

nycsteve wrote:
Whats good to wear for the colder fall weather , specifically waist down? I have an Aquaskin waterproof top and lighter upper body stuff. But what is good ,pants wise, that allows easy movement but keeps legs and feet dry? Fishing in NY area bays, inlets.

Hello,
I prefer the Reddington waist waders with adjustable waist and light suspenders. They also have waterproof zips on front pocket and neoprene booties which are very warm. Of course you need to be sure waist straps are tight when underway. With no upper I wear a chest pack and don't need to move when standing. For shoes I use five ten 3/4 shoes because they fit in stirrups. This wader is more versatile than the Kokatate because you can use wade fishing. Price 195.00 waders and around a 100.00 for shoes. Iuse regular wading shoes for other fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I fished all last winter using Hodgman goretex waders and a semi-dry top. I found no real discomfort with the waders other than the fact that they leaked a bit. They were about 5 years old. If you have waders give them a try before you buy something else.

However, I have to say that I did break down and buy a drysuit because the local kayak shop (nextadventure.net) had a Stohlquist bpod for $299. I am looking forward to trying it out this winter.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wear my chest waders and they work great. I wouldn't suggest wearing chest waders without a life jacket on though....or you may end up in the bottom of the lake. This spring my buddy and I swamped his canoe w/chest waders on. My waders filled up about 1/4 the way to the top before I got to shore. I was certainly glad I had my lifejacket on or I don't think I would have made it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good comment jims snd sorry that I did not explicitly state it but I, but I wear my PFD all the time, in cold, cool, warm and hot weather. I figure I owe my wife and kids at least that much for letting me go fishing.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pdxfisher wrote:
Good comment jims snd sorry that I did not explicitly state it but I, but I wear my PFD all the time, in cold, cool, warm and hot weather. I figure I owe my wife and kids at least that much for letting me go fishing.

I always wear a life jacket/never know what will come across your bow. I've been overboard and if you cinch up your waders with belt ect.,amazing how dry they are,even in a class three rapid. Biggest problem is remembering to keep em that way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This past weekend I decided that in an AI, at least, a dry suit is about worthless. You're going to get wet, either from above or below.

So, I'm switching to Zhik hydrophobic fleece. I'll be wet, but I'll be warm.

I watched a bunch of other sailors out there and none of them had on dry suits - they all had on the hydrophobic fleece stuff. And they were wet but they were all "toasty."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

In the UK one of the favorites is an under dry suit made by Weezle.

It's worth it just for the name.

http://www.weezle.co.uk/products/undersuits.htm