Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Installing silicone rubber mesh to replace Hobie net pockets.
Following the initial idea from Josh (of yakass.net)

The Hobie net pockets have been coming apart at the stitching along the top (all four pockets on my TI) also the bungee cord getts loose.

I have re stitched on my Adventure Island and they lasted for a few years. But the biggest hastle is they are also particularly prone to getting hooks stuck in them.

Well my first attempt with using square plastic coated mesh (which came from the ends of an old dive gear bag) was a bit of a failure because it did not stretch at all.

SO when I broke the handle on my Berkley kayak net (by driving over it with the trailer) it was a perfect opportunity to try this.

The Berkley net mesh is large hexagonal holes which is quite loose and stretchy so was a bit of a pain to lay out and cut neatly to fit. I taped it down to a bit of cardboard to get it right on the Hobie pocket frame.

Next: I cut the ends of the mesh to fit neatly over each of the little tabs in the Hobie mesh pocket frame, and then used a few dabs of superglue to hold the ends down in place.
Then I fitted the backing plate part of the mesh pocket frame and held it together tightly as the superglue set. This was a bit fiddly but I clamped a flat bit of wood to either side of the frame to hold it together and it worked well.

Tadaaaaaaaaa one pocket done (three more to go).

I threaded the original Hobie pocket bungee cord through the top row of the mesh and left the top loops to hook over the middle thingy on my Adventure.

It stretches really well and returns to shape.

I might add stronger bungee later if needed and I might trim off the extra top loops if they get in the way, but for now they seem good to attach gear leash clips.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great idea! All of the mesh pockets do tend to stretch out over a period of time. Maybe Hobie will pick-up on this product improvement. In the meantime, I will be looking for some of the rubber mesh. However, I'm not going to run over my Ego net to do it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Fyi... they are pretty inexpensive and have undergone many improvements over the years...

78560001 MAP POCKET FRAME w/MESH $10.99 (USA 2012)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Great idea! All of the mesh pockets do tend to stretch out over a period of time. Maybe Hobie will pick-up on this product improvement. In the meantime, I will be looking for some of the rubber mesh. However, I'm not going to run over my Ego net to do it :mrgreen:

Thanks islandspeed,
I would not recommend breaking a decent net to do this modification. It was quite a fiddly job with the net mesh because it is curved to fit a round net and I was trying to flatten it out to fit a flat pocket.

Last edited by Geordie on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Fyi... they are pretty inexpensive and have undergone many improvements over the years...

78560001 MAP POCKET FRAME w/MESH $10.99 (USA 2012)

Thanks Matt,
Yes the Hobie pockets have done a pretty good job up to now and I can see they have improved over the years. Although I have had the stitching come undone on the pockets of my 2012 TI so it is probably the use I am giving it.

Over here in West Australia the pockets are around $18 Aus to replace so not quite as inexpensive for a boat with four pockets.

My main aim in doing this modification was because I do spend a bit of time fishing from the TI and the mesh of the pockets it so easy to get a hook tangled in and so hard to un hook that they become a real pain.
I have been using the side pocket on one side without the mesh at all just because it is so difficult for hooks, particularly trebles on trolling lures.

I figure that this mod is good not to replace the perfectly functional mesh pockets but particularly for those who want to fish and use treble hooks.

So if you at Hobie ever decide to do a few accessories like a silicone net type pocket specifically for fishermen (or a seat drain scupper with one way valve) then I would be a happy candidate to do some product testing for you.