Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
new owner of 2012 Revo 11. Have some questions about fishing from Revo. I also have Commander 120 that have been fishing out of last couple of years so have become used to open cockpit lots of room for storage ect..... The reasons I got the Revo was to get my Wife out on the water with me, and to have second yak could use at the beach and to fish larger lakes, bays ,ect... where longer distances are required. I am a Lazy paddler and find myself not going to spots because of distances and after 15 years of pitching the shoulder does flare up on me sometimes. I fish mostly out NOVA area in some local reservoirs and goose creek and the Potomac.

For me questions now. First question is what and how you store your gear in the center 8" hatch. I have seen some threads where they have attached string to some place in hatch and then attached various storage boxes to it. I have seen some that have cut out larger drink containers held different gear that slides in a and out but I assume that does slide down to front or back out of reach. I have ever seen someone create a mesh basket out plastic netting to keep stuff from sliding to front to back. I love seeing what others have done so please share your picture if you have them :) I can't seem to find the hatch netting thread so if you some has it could they share it.

The Front hatch I have seen someone use a big rubber bucket and trim it out, I will be looking for one at homedepot or target, walmart ect.... So I think I am set there.

One thing I want to do is carry less when in the Revo I have a couple of crates I use with some rod holder and was debating whether to create some diy pvc rod holders or use the ones on my crate. If you have some diy pvc Rod holder pics please share as I love making stuff out of pvc for some reason. I have made batting net for my kids, fishing rod stands and miscellaneous other things so if you have some pic of your Rod holders I would love to see them. I have read that 1 1/4" will fit in rod holders pretty well any other advice and or tips on sizes and or fitting types would be appreciated as well. If your not using crates how are you carrying everything?

This is supposed to be my wife's Kayak so all other rigging will have to be removable. I love the gear trac from yakattack so I see a few spread around to different point. I have Swann (gopro alternative) that I will have to figure where to mount in front or behind me, I have the panfish portrait.

If you have some pictures of rigged Revo 11's I love to see them. Another random question I have a pair of Korkers metalhead wading boots does anyone use them with Mirage drive? If so do the work out ok or are they to clunky for the mirage drive?

Last question for know, before you take yak out for first spin is there any maintenance needed to be done on Mirage drive? I know over time there will be but just talking for first trip? I will do some research on routine maintenance.

Cheers

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For the front hatch, I got the Hobie Hatch Liner for the Revo11 (sorry don't know the part number) and I tend to store food, dry box, and beverages in there when I'm going offshore. When I'm inshore I might store the anchor in there as well.

The middle 8" round hatch is always a tackle area for me. I use the deep gear bucket here instead of the smaller tackle bucket that comes with the kayak. I also use this hatch area to access the transducer which I mounted inside the kayak to shoot through the hull.

The rear tank area can take a crate, but not much else. In fact, when I take the crate and bucket-live-well I don't really have a good spot for the large fish bag. I did however put a 3-rod holder on the back of the crate and this holds my 3 rods and gaff when I'm going offshore. Again, different for inshore, I leave all that crap at home and just toss a supermarket cold bag in the kayak's "trunk" with my two rods in the stock rod holders.

The rear 8" round hatch is where I store my battery for the fish finder. The wiring runs the length of the kayak on the inside.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

CratePak /PrecisionPak in the back... Provides tackle storage + rod holders.

2-level gear bucket in the center hatch
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=39695

Scotty or ram rod holders mid ship

All easily removable.

forget the front hatch... It's not really safe to get stuff out of there while you're on the water.