Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Those of us who are avid fly rodders know there is no way to use a rod leash without it being a pain in the --- well, you get the picture. In ten years of kayak fishing, I have witnessed three flyrods go in the drink, two recovered, one not. Thankfully, none mine although one VERY close call got me to thinking.

For the last four years if have used what I call "the Velcro" solution. Flyfishers often have a reason to set their flyrod down:I.E. : Travels to the next spot, changing tippets, changing flies, admiring a fish, posing for that "trophy "shot, etc. All of my Hobies have this solution to rod overboard stress:

Placement will be different depending on Hobie model and personal preference. On my PA12 on the inside of the gunnel next to my left front seat leg, I have a 3" wide strip of Industrial-Grade Velcro with the matching Velcro cover strip over it. Lay your flyrod, reel flat, all the way forward. Slip the rod blank under the velcro over-flap and push closed. It will NEVER go anywhere, guaranteed. Your hands are free to pose fish, change tippets, flies, etc. As my Australian-living bro would say, "Not to worry!" And when you are ready to cast again, simple, fast, lift up of the over-piece, exit the rod, and you are in action again.

Hints for Velcro use in Hobies. Use Industrial Grade, let set over night. Round off ALL corners. Keeps line or other from eventually catching and working it loose. On the over-top piece, make it about 3/8ths longer, and round it off like finger tab. Easy to remove. Also great for keeping cables in place.

Oldguysrule (except at home) Bob in Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bob.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use Spey Fly Rods, and one of my Rods, a good reel and line can cost more than the yaks I use.

Try the rod with a float in a swimming pool to ensure that they float. Some of my bigger Spey rods and heavy reels require two floats. If I go :o over to the dark side with a spinning rod, the floats work with those rods.

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/16517/b ... eviews.htm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here you go, check out Overboard Fishing Rods... They make Floating rods that will also float the reel. They make them in spinning casting and Fly rods.

www.overboardfishingrods.com

http://www.thehobielife.blogspot.com

AFTCO, Kanan Lures, Astral Buoyancy and Alltackle.com Pro Staff
2012 Yellow Pro Angler 12 and 2014 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tip Bob. Just exploring getting a PA14 for the summer. Rigging tips are always a great help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You are most welcome. It's all the personalized rigging that makes Hobies the fun fishing platform they are. I certainly have welcomed ideas from a variety of kayak angling forums (the Hobie Community is the best of the lot)

As you use your PA14, your needs and desires will be apparent to you with use. If you discover needs, drop a note to the forum contributers. They are a savy and unselfish, eager-to-answer bunch. Secondly, use your own imagination and don't be afraid to experiment (as long as you aren't going to do irrepairable damage.)

Colorado Bob (Oldguysrule)