Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll be going to the Keys on Friday and started looking at the Go Pro camera's the last minute and got the basic Go Pro 3 Hero White basic model. I don't have a mount for my Hobie, just the camera, and have just the one camera without accessorie mounts. Anyone have a suggestion for a Go Pro mount simple set up for my Hobie Oasis? Curious to which Go Pro mount/method some of you use. Would lke to be able to also like to able to lower it under water to view the catch then remount on the yak when bringing a fish in.

New stuff for me and not much time to pick a mount up before going south between loading up, checklists and getting out of town.

Any suggestions welcomed.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm also new to this since I have only taken my gopro out once or twice. I can tell you what not to do: Don't just stick it on the bow hatch and aim it back at yourself without taking some test footage, otherwise you will end up with a memory card full of crotch-shots :lol: :lol: :lol:
Found that out the hard way, and its not a flattering angle :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

seriously though, I think you might want to try buying the tripod mount and a cheap/used monopod or painter's telescoping pole so you can put the camera in a rod holder for above water footage and be able to push it underwater for the fishy shots.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have my Hero 3 mounted it its waterproof case attached to this that I put together for about $11:

http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.com/2012/02/kayak-fishing-monopod-conversion-for.html

I then stick it in the fishing rod holder behind me and adjust it to the height and angle I need. You may also wish to tether the monopod or camera just in case.... :roll:

I will be down in Key West in two short weeks; wish I could take my oasis but I am flying... have a great time and share yr videos!

Bob

2013 Oasis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

excellent mount and instructions, thanks for the link Bob!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob, that is a great set up! Thanks for your reponse, I should have enough time to get this together if everything goes smoothly.

Like the versatility with the light too. You just saved me a ton of time triyng to figure something out that is practical and usable.

Much thanks! You could probably sell this set up and make a decent and fair profit. I believe the kayaking community would be an appreciative and viable customer base.

I was told that the current cold front should pass by the time I get to Cudjoe Key. Hope you enjoy your stay in Key West.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

65Strad wrote:
Bob, that is a great set up! Thanks for your reponse, I should have enough time to get this together if everything goes smoothly.

Like the versatility with the light too. You just saved me a ton of time triyng to figure something out that is practical and usable.

Much thanks! You could probably sell this set up and make a decent and fair profit. I believe the kayaking community would be an appreciative and viable customer base.

I was told that the current cold front should pass by the time I get to Cudjoe Key. Hope you enjoy your stay in Key West.

check out the yakattack panfish mounts for use with gopro cameras.
Cc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

65Strad wrote:
Bob, that is a great set up! (Snip)

Much thanks! You could probably sell this set up and make a decent and fair profit.

Glad I could save your time, but I only should get credit for posting the link! :-) I did put goop on the mount that you screw in per the instructions. It will never come off...again I suspect a tether is a grand idea... :wink:

http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.com/2012/02/kayak-fishing-monopod-conversion-for.html

The gentleman who designed it at Palmetto did a great job. I am going to build a 2nd after another trip to Wal Mart for another monopod. Have fun! I also use it (collapsed) for all filming with my GO PRO on land. Bob

]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you want the versatility, quick aim, and ability to dunk the camera for underwater footage, a hat cam is pretty useful. It's cheap and easy to make, especially in your timeframe with your upcoming trip. I wasn't a fan of the headstrap mount. I just stuck the mount on the bill of cap, and then epoxy'd the edges so it doesn't fall off. I put it as far back on the bill as possible for stability and so it doesn't feel all wobbly on my head. I've made pole mounts, and those are ok too, but in the end.. more often I just grab this cap and GO~~!!

Here's my hat-cam.

Here's a video taken with my hat-cam. 0:30-1:55 has some underwater footage, including an underwater CP&R! (or is it CV&R??)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N2YfIz1wm5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>