Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: upgrade fins or rudder?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Planning on purchasing my first Hobie Outback. Should I be initially upgrading the standard fins to turbo or should I be replacing the rudder to a sailing one. My guess is to change the rudder, is there a real noticeable difference with the Turbo? Probably yes, but can it wait?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why would you change the rudder? The standard rudder is more than sufficient for steering/turing the boat unless you're sailing and heeled over or are using the craft in extreme swells.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Change the rudder for sure big difference . turbos try both

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The sailing rudder is great. But I would say that the vast majority of people upgrade the fins before the rudder. It's always a personal choice. The longer fins mean that you have to be a little bit more careful in shallower areas, to make sure you don't hit them against the bottom of the lake or river. For that reason I've stuck with the standard fins on my Oasis, but I'll probably upgrade at some point.

The fins are more expensive than the rudder, but if you really want them both, the rudder isn't a huge financial jump from just the fins. They're both great upgrades.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your input guys.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Both should be standard. Get both.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Absolutely upgrade to the turbo fins. The only exception would be a very small and/or weak person that had little leg strength.

And even with turbos, one a easily navigate shallow water with mini peddling were the fins only move a few inches below the bottom of the boat. Won't go very fast, but works.

Another minor issue would be removing them in shallow water to beach the kayak. Have to plan to do that before one gets into really shallow water, or get out and tip the kayak to get them out.

Seevee
Mirage Tandem
Mirage Outback

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

^thanks, I ordered the turbo and large rudder. Now I need to figure out how to mount my transducer. I think I'm gonna macgiver an aluminum flat bar with ram mount.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The stock rudder and fins move the Outback quite nice...

But, the sailing rudder will allow the Outback to turn much sharper. The turbo fins are a noticeable improvement on speed vs. the stock fins. The Outback is a different kayak when outfitted with both...

The downside of these changes - longer rudder and fin length...get under about 1' and the sailing rudder will snag the bottom. I use the big turbo fins on my OB. I set my fishfinder to beep the shallow-water alarm at 2', so when it goes off, I will pay more attention to the depth and either pull the drive, or do the half-pedal strokes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tip,never thought about the shallow water alarm. Have to check if my ff has that feature.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the sailing rudder because i sail home after a long days fishing, (homemade sail)which is very easy and works great.

Where i fish it's way too shallow for the Turbos so i keep the standard fins on there now . Even with standard fins i am always in trouble, the standards are plenty fast and cause less wear and tear on the drive area.