It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.amazon.com/UB12120-Sealed-Ba ... 2+Terminal

UB12120 Sealed Lead Acid Battery Replacement 12V 12AH w/ F2 Terminal

Its only $23!

Product Dimensions: 6 x 3.9 x 3.7 inches ; 9.2 pounds

I have a local battery plus but they want $50 for a 12v 12 amp battery.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

thats a sort of a huge battery just for a fish finder.
the 1280 is much smaller at under 6 lbs, is 8ah, and fits perfectly in the hobie tray. they are all over ebay for 15-20 bucks, free shipping.

when we upgraded to the Elite-7 DSI, i wanted to upgrade power options along with the units. but, after searching high and low, i have found nothing that fits the bill any better than the UB1280. during the day i run the Elite-7 all day, sometimes 10 hours. at night i run the FF and two LED lights. rarely more than 6 hours (last night from 2:30 to about 7:30 this morning), and i have yet to run this battery down. during the Vero Beach Boat show, i had the unit on the simulator program and ran it both saturday and sunday without charging and it never missed a beat. that was probably 14 hours total?

i know you have been looking for power for your new E-5. dont overthink the AH. anything over about 6ah should be plenty for even the largest screens on kayaks, and the most powerful transducers.

i think (hope) the new Hobie kit will have everything everyone needs as far as power, storage and connections, but for just a battery, i have found no better option over the UB1280.

cheers.
drew

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-7AH-12-Volt ... 5d3cb4da2c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, that really helped alot. Sometimes I am on the water for 6 - 8 hours and I do not want to lose battery power... Especially when I install a couple LED lights for night fishing. I really want to use the Hobie kit but I am getting mixed information. mmiller says the new battery holder and who knows what else will be available to us this week, but I called Hobie directly and they said it my be available at the end of next week. My dealer has no clue whats going on. I am out of town until Tuesday of next week so I dont need anything until then but I dont think I can wait any longer than that. I'm ready to use the fishfinder :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should be able to find the current draw for your FF from the manufacturer. My HB 597 ci HD DI burns about .6A with the light off. With the light on I would guess that it is over an amp. I use a 10Ah SLA battery and by the end of a 12 hour day it is pretty tired. It has not shut off yet, but I start to pick noise on the screen that I assume is from low voltage (I always forget to check the voltage when I am out). I do leave the backlight on the FF all the time.

I think that depending upon your screen brightness, etc that an 8Ah battery might be cutting it close. Just my 2 cents.

Also note that running the simulator does not run the transducer which is the biggest power draw on a unit so I would not take that as a good data point.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tip on the transducer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After messing around with battery power I'm finally happy with a UB12180 (18AH) battery from the same manufacturer. I'm running an 898cSI HD unit and it ate the 8AH battery power in about 4 hours of constant use. It's a fairly large battery compared to the 8AH, but still far smaller than the batteries in my boat. I have it mounted inside, next to the sail mast support, and the hatch liner has sufficient clearance. I also added a fuse block to eliminate the inline fuse holders.