Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cold weather clothing
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just purchased an outback and plan on fishing in late october/november. I used to wear waders while surf-fishing, but I have heard that may not be good for a kayak and have heard a wetsuit may be more appropriate.

Can anyone recommend the safest/warmest clothing to wear for cold weather fishing ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

brigguy wrote:
I just purchased an outback and plan on fishing in late october/november. I used to wear waders while surf-fishing, but I have heard that may not be good for a kayak and have heard a wetsuit may be more appropriate.

Can anyone recommend the safest/warmest clothing to wear for cold weather fishing ?

Thanks

What do you mean by Cold? Living in Alaska, my advice is you should have a drysuit or at least a two piece water tight system. I like the semi drysuits by kokatat with a neoprene neck gasket instead of latex. MUCH more comfortable.

What you need to think about is whatever system you wear, how water tight is it? Water can kill through draining your body temperature faster obviously. But it also nearly killed me due to the weight. I wore waders, belt, and a normal jacket. I weighed a ton (later research shows 40lbs extra) water weight and I could NOT self rescue myself. In the water, no problem. Life jacket kept me high in the water. But the instant you try to lift yourself and all the water above the water line....didn't happen.

I also was witness to a wipeout in the surf. No big deal, it was chest deep water. But the guy was wearing a waders and belt system and he struggled to get his yak onto the beach for about 10 minutes. He got to shore ok, but if we weren't there, he would have been toast. He was so cold and shivering and couldn't do simple tasks like unzipping his drysuit. He might have made it to shore, but who knows if he would have survived afterwards even though his vehicle was less than a mile down the beach. It was maybe 50 deg out with water temp in the 40's.

In cold water, where you have no assistance, you must have on something that will keep you dry. Not only for the warmth, but also to avoid limiting your mobility. Your ability to self rescue on AND off the water is GREATLY increased if you are dry.

Here's an article I wrote on my dislike of waders and belt set up for cold water.
http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/139-kayak-fishing-how-to-articles/1676-qwaders-of-deathq-another-perspective.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recommend watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtgYP3Xrhdo on waterproof wear for kayaking in cold weather.

Underneath wear layers that will not absorb water or are relatively warm when wet (polypropylene type stuff).

I bring multiple pairs of gloves so I can swap out if they get wet. I also usually bring an extra hat for the same reason. I have a dry suit and usually wear it, but if it is a bit warmer I will sometimes wear waders and a semi-dry top since it is easier to let the heat out if need be.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before giving you any answers, I highly suggest you tell us what part of the country you are from, what type of water you will be fishing. There is a big difference between FL and NH and how you would dress.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anything other than sunbathing weather demands a dry suit. Wear under neath what you would do to keep warm out if the water as the dry suit offers no themal protection.

For cold days try a weezle suit, like a body shaped sleeping bag under the dry suit. That combination has seen me though the uk winters.

Cc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't kayak when the water gets below 50 degrees, that's just how I am and lake/reservoir fishing around here slows down considerably so I put the kayak away - I have a boat I can use if I want to go fishing in cold weather so I can cover a lot more water. When the air temp gets down to where I need long pants I keep it simple. Sweat pants which I can easily pull up to my knees to get in the kayak, once aboard I dry off and put on a pair of socks and pull the pants down. If it's threatening rain, I have rain pants I can add over the sweat pants. Each is easily removable should I go overboard (which hasn't happened yet) and will not hold water like waders. The important thing is to have SPARE clothing (and a towel) on board in a DRY BAG, if you get wet in even moderately cold weather you need to get DRY before you can get warm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are fishing big water that is cold, you might consider a wet/dry suit.

For our cold weather down in North Florida I usually wear poly undergarments, fleece pants/top if neccesary, rain pants and a hooded rain/gortex jacket. For boots, I have a pair of knee high neop boots that allow me to get into the water at the launch without getting wet.

While I do have waders, I find them to be bulky and cumbersom when fishing from a kayak. You will hear from folks that waders will cause you to sink. No, they won't sink you but will not allow you to crawl back on you kayak if filled with water.

One thing about fleece is that even when it is wet, it will keep your body heat where it belongs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just worked out my cold weather set up and so far I am loving it after 3 trips with Air temps and water temps in the high 40s to low 50s

Kokatat - Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Paddling Suit
Kokatat - Polartec Power Dry Line
NRS - ATB Wetshoe
Outdoor Research - Rondo Cap