Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys, im new to this forum but i am an active member on many other kayaking forums. I am finding the storage on the sport a little limiting when it comes to storing my catch and i would also like a practice way to store my pliers, scissors etc. So im asking you guys, how do you store you catch on a sport and what are recommendations for sorting my pliers etc.

Thanks trewy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a Sport before my current Revo 11, heck I might even buy a 2014 Sport since I like all the redesigns they did.

Storage was a problem for me with both space and weight limits (since the capacity was 225# and I am 200# already). The simplest and cheapest solution for keeping the catch cold was a large cold bag from the supermarket (publix), the insulated type they use for picnics etc. I would throw a few frozen water bottles in there and it would be good enough for small fish like snappers and seatrout.

When I started catching bigger/longer fish like king mackerel and amberjacks I had to upgrade to a rectangular insulated bag like this:
http://www.basspro.com/Boone-Insulated-Bait-Bag/product/72224/
Problem is, that doesn't sit well in the kayak "trunk" if you already have a bait bucket/milkcrate. So I carry that to sea behind the seat with the ends protruding on both sides of the kayak. You could also get a Precision Pak http://kayakfishingblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/YakCatch-Fish-Bag.jpg insulated bag and find a way to lash it down to the front of your kayak, but you'll be limited to a small one.

What kind/size of fish are you catching?

As for the pliers, I just stuff them in my PFD.