Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got a new 2014 Revo 13. Looking to get a gps/fishfinder that will not break the bank! I am planning on using it to find reefs and such. Will be spear diving off it in the ocean up to 130'. Looking for something that will work well with the new Lowrance ready scupper. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You just missed a sale at West Marine for the Lowrance Elite 5, but check out the Lowrance Elite 4.
I have the Elite4 and as long as you waterproof it a bit (mapcard slot), it will serve you very well for GPS and fish finder functions. I get good readings up to about 275' and I'm shooting through the hull with the transducer. With the new transducer mount I bet you'd get much better readings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joe in Jupiter wrote:
Just got a new 2014 Revo 13. Looking to get a gps/fishfinder that will not break the bank! I am planning on using it to find reefs and such. Will be spear diving off it in the ocean up to 130'. Looking for something that will work well with the new Lowrance ready scupper. Thanks

Congratulations on your new boat!

Is there any chance you'd be willing to post a picture or two of the cockpit area? I've seen a recent post in another thread stating the 2014 model includes changes to the seating/hatch area in addition to the Lowrance ready feature but haven't seen any pictures showing this change.

Best,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jcanracer wrote:
You just missed a sale at West Marine for the Lowrance Elite 5, but check out the Lowrance Elite 4.
I have the Elite4 and as long as you waterproof it a bit (mapcard slot), it will serve you very well for GPS and fish finder functions. I get good readings up to about 275' and I'm shooting through the hull with the transducer. With the new transducer mount I bet you'd get much better readings.

How did you waterproof the Elite 4?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

(censored) wrote:
Jcanracer wrote:

How did you waterproof the Elite 4?

Well, actually, I didn't.
I took for granted that the unit is IPX7 rated, so I installed it and went straight into the surf to play. Over the last year it has gotten splashed many times and i've capsized twice. I saw the spare port on the back start to corrode immediately, so I cleaned that and sealed it with a rubber cap. The map-card slot I was not so vigilant about; I thought if it was closed it would be fine... come to find now that its so corroded I couldn't use a navionics chip even if I tried.

Despite that, its a good unit, just do yourself a favor and put a strip of waterproof tape over the mapcard slot and cover the unused port on the back. For the power port, just keep an eye on it. I fish offshore and launch in mild surf, if you paddle/fish in freshwater your experience may vary. The OP sounds like another saltwater user though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies. Lowrance has so many mixed reviews I don't know. Found this Humminbird 587Ci HD. Looked to have good reviews but don't know how well it will work with the kayak? As far as pictures I'll see what I can do in the next few days. Thanks, Joe