Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayak fishing 101
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Beyond as a kid fishing perch with a cane pole, bobber and worm, I’m totally new to fishing. Always have loved being where you fish but not so much fishing. The wife and I got Revos last summer, love ‘em, and both of us think that this has just got to be perfect for fishing too. So….with my badge of ignorance right up front, what do you have prepped ahead of time, what do you best organize it in, and how the heck do you keep leader setups from exploding into a ball of junk. I’ve tried wrapping line around things but besides not really working well I tend to kink the line from trying to consolidate. Right now this is geared primarily to lake fishing trout and bass. Thanks for any tips.

Post subject: Re: Kayak fishing 101
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I like the Plano 3650 tackle boxes. They fit through the center 8" hatch & I usually have a couple in there with my tackle. I like these better than the stock Hobie tackle buckets. For leader storage I have some clear plastic zip loc storage bags I got from a fly fishing store. I've heard some people using music cd storage sleeves or just zip loc bags. The freezer bags are a little stiffer & will probably work better. For prep I usually have all my leaders tied up in advance with new line & hooks. I usually tie baits used without leader/like jigs/spinners etc on in advance, unless they have treble hooks which can get snagged on stuff in my truck. I review a written checklist before I leave the house & write notes if there's stuff needed to bring that isn't on the checklist. Good luck & have fun on your Revos. They are one of the best fishing kayaks on the market.

Post subject: Re: Kayak fishing 101
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

first of all... take the "tupper ware" storage bucket that comes in the REVO (fits fwd of the seat) and cut all the little plastic partitions out.... Use the old plastic film containers with the snap-on lids for hooks, lead, swivels, etc. write the contents on them with a black permanent marker. My wife buys some kind of candy, breathe mint things that are in these really cool little long plastic containers with snap top lids - if you can't find film containers - check a few of them out (they are actually better, lids stay attached... can't get lost like film can lids). Most tackle shops I've been in sell leader on the smaller reels (about 3 inches in diameter), they'll drop right in your Revo bucket. Carry a couple different loads, you can refill them from larger spool later. I use Gulp and Z man scented lures, so I buy the containers with the little twist tops on them- Bass Pro shops or most good tackle shops have them.... even seen similar in WalMart. Build (or buy) a crate set-up for behind your seat and toss those lure containers or anything else you want in there... short sections of PVC can be added to make rod holders.... or whatever else you want... be creative.