Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

it was pretty nice conditions for my first real offshore trip in the new yak.

I trolled pretty solidly for a couple of hours without a touch. there wasnt much showing on the sounder bait wise. I stopped for a while, soaked a bait and got a couple of taps on a plastic but nothing solid.went back to trolling for another 45 mins or so with nothing, except a small shark paying me a visit.

I decided to head back to where id seen the most bait on the sounder and bounce a plastic and a bait - i was determined not to go home with a doughnut.

i got a visit from a very silly muttonbird which kept trying to take my baits. at one point it swam head first into the yak because he was so fixed on the bait i was reeling in.

I was bouncing a plastic when my bait rod doubled over and my reel started screaming. Something grabbed my yellowtail fillet and took off for China. The last 2 fish ive lost have been because ive gone too hard so i made a decision to not strong arm this fish. That was a mistake, since i wasnt expecting how strong these fish fight. after a couple of minutes of gaining then losing line i felt the horrible scraping of leader on reef. I was solidly tangled... after a bit of huffing and puffing and a lot of swearing i decided to try free spooling in the hope the fish would swim free itself (something thats worked for me before). I waited a couple of minutes but no joy, so i decided to pedal around to try putting pressure on the fish from a different angle...and it worked... the fish popped free and i brought it close to the surface... I was expecting a shark so it was a big surprise when i big silver shape glided in to view with my circle hook in its mouth. I thought about the lip grips for all of two seconds, then completed a very nervous gaff shot

the stupid look on my face shows just how pleased i was

i managed to embarrass myself on the way in my losing my balance after getting out of the yak on the beach, amusing the boaties who were returning from their trips. I got the last laugh though, since none of them caught anything, and i made sure i cleaned it in front of them.

first snapper, first fish in the new kayak, first offshore fish... great session

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice!! Great photos too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

AWESOME story an nice catch.
Congrats on the new yak enjoy it.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great fish story and a very nice way to slime your kayak.
If I may make one suggestion? Between your legs, a fish with a hook in the mouth is too scary to describe.
:-)
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

+1 on the fish between your legs with a hook ready to snag your privates.

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags

Last edited by pjs on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Flyfsh wrote:
Great fish story and a very nice way to slime your kayak.
If I may make one suggestion? Between your legs, a fish with a hook in the mouth is too scary to describe.
:-)
Jim

LOL! I was using a drop net in about 3 ft of water catching crab for bait..., summertime, basically a bathing suit and t-shirt... lifted up the net and it had 2-3 BIG blue crabs in it..., swung it over my lap (I have a Revo, so not a lot of room)..., anyway just as it got over my lap the cotton net totally disintegrated and them dam crabs dropped RIGHT in my lap... first three or four screams I was hitting notes only dogs could hear..., somehow managed to get them over the side without getting anything important clipped... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Funniest crab story I ever heard.
Jim