Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bait well operation
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got my PA 14 and took it out on her maiden voyage. Had a live well full of shrimp and anchored up in a good spot in Flamingo FL. After catching 2 jacks, 1 snapper, 2 snook, and 2 trout, I discovered that my shrimp were not as happy as the pump only functions apparently went the kayak is moving. Is this the case? Is it possible to keep the pump flowing during prolonged stops? Thanks for the info!

Post subject: Re: bait well operation
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I also recently got a PA14 and have the Hobie livewell. I have had my share of issue too. In theory, once the system is primed and running it should continue to run. My issue is getting system primed. I talked to Hobie and they said you have to get the yak up to about 4-mph to get the system to prime. I haven't been able to do that successfully yet. I am considering wiring in my 12-volt house battery with a switch to prime at 12-volts and then switch back to the 6-volt battery on the livewell. My guess is you have a leak that is causing you to lose your prime. Note, if you turn off the pump, the water will drain unless you put that little black rubber fitting back on the pump and you will lose your prime.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition