Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Lowrance Elite-4 DSI fishfinder / chartplotter. I connected the cable from the power supply to the fishfinder to my kayak. I'd like to get a second cable so that I can play with the unit when not in the kayak. They don't seem to be sold separately. Does anyone know (a) where you can buy one, (b) if you can't, what kind of plug to buy to connect into the 6 pin power jack on the back of the fishfinder, and where you can get it and (c) what kind of plug to buy to connect to the two prong plastic quick connect connector that comes out of the Remco RM 12-9HR battery?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm intersted in this, too. The only thing I could come up with is a whole new wiring harness to use outside the kayak. By the way I'm in naples, too. Where do you fish?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Naples, Florida? So far by kayak I have mostly fished right near where I live which is in the Moorings neighborhood, in Hurricane Harbor and Doctor's Pass and right outside of Doctor's Pass. I keep the kayak on a floating dock there. But I'd like to take the kayak down to Collier Seminole Park sometime soon and fish that area. My wife won't go with me because she's afraid of the alligators. I also run a meetup group that fishes (not in kayaks), mostly at the beach, though this month we fished down at Sea Grape Road and the Turner River, on 41 near Everglades City. The meetup site is http://www.meetup.com/Naples-Florida-Surf-Fishing/. I also occasionally take a party boat out to fish in the Gulf. I'm thinking of taking the GPS class run by the Naples Sail & Power Squadron on Monday evening, March 3, and would like to be able to bring my Elite-4 with me, but the power cable is attached to my Hobie Outback.

You know there is a big SW Florida kayak fishing group on Facebook, right? https://www.facebook.com/groups/paradis ... shingclub/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Local dealer (West Marine) had to call the manufacturer (Navionics...?) to get an extra set of cables for my Elite 4.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes. Naples, FL. The only places I got fishing are Estero near mound key and near isles of capri. I put in at the isles of capri paddle park. When I go to estero I either use hickory bait and tackles launch ramp, or the sea wall near the bridge right across from lovers key state park. I did really well in estero two weekends ago. Two nice slot reds and a slot snook that was a Few weeks too early.

I would like to try the reef along the beach that runs from clam pass to Vanderbilt beach. I've been there once just to check it out and on the fish finder there was tons of structure. If you have a cart it's not a bad launch right from the beach in sea gate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NaplesKayakFisherman wrote:
You know there is a big SW Florida kayak fishing group on Facebook, right? https://www.facebook.com/groups/paradis ... shingclub/

Just requested to join. I know the admin from high school.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jahaiap wrote:
I would like to try the reef along the beach that runs from clam pass to Vanderbilt beach. I've been there once just to check it out and on the fish finder there was tons of structure. If you have a cart it's not a bad launch right from the beach in sea gate.

How far out is the reef?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NaplesKayakFisherman wrote:
I have a Lowrance Elite-4 DSI fishfinder / chartplotter. I connected the cable from the power supply to the fishfinder to my kayak. I'd like to get a second cable so that I can play with the unit when not in the kayak. They don't seem to be sold separately. Does anyone know (a) where you can buy one, (b) if you can't, what kind of plug to buy to connect into the 6 pin power jack on the back of the fishfinder, and where you can get it and (c) what kind of plug to buy to connect to the two prong plastic quick connect connector that comes out of the Remco RM 12-9HR battery?

I finally dealt with this, not very cost effectively, but satisfactorily, by buying the car charger attachment for the Elite-4 and then cutting off the end that has the attachment that fits into the car charger. I then attached the wires to the battery cable using a weather pack connector kit, (http://www.streetrodelectrics.com/produ ... r-Kit.html).